Do they even make these

Friend is going on couple month trip. He wants to put monitors for water near his sump pump and near his water heater. He would like it if they could e-mail him (I suggested texting might be quicker) if either one has problems. He could leave his wifi router and cable modem on, but only has a laptop at home which he will be taking with him. Is there anything like this that is self contained enough to make the connection with the Wifi and send the text or e-mail if needed or would he need a computer of some kind to run the monitors??/

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Set up a web cam

Reply to
gfretwell

Check out the Reliance Controls THP201 Automatic Phone Out Alarm.

If he will be taking a cell phone he could use it

Here's the description from Amazon:

From the Manufacturer Automatic Phone-Out Home Monitoring System (Power Outage, Freezing Temperatures and Flooding). Keypad base unit plugs into phone line and electrical outlet. Internal temperature and power outage sensors and external water sensor continually monitor home for three alarm conditions: temperatures below 45 degrees F, power outages lasting more than either 5 or 30 minutes (users' choice), and flooding. Base unit calls up to three telephone numbers anywhere in North America when problem occurs. Identifies specific problem with voice message followed by user instructions for remote deactivation. Battery included.

Product Description Power failure, freeze, and flood home monitoring system. Monitors homes, condos, cottages, outbuildings, cabins, business, etc. Automatically calls up to 3 different owner programmed phone numbers with a clear voice message in the event of: Power failure, freezing, condtiions, water leakage, or flooding. Freeze warning activates at 45 F. Connects to existing telephone lines and installs in minutes with no special wiring required. Selectable 5 or 15 minute initial call out delay, will continue calling for up to 10 hours if needed. 9V battery backup included. FCC approved.

Reply to
Erma1ina

My wife gets a subscription to martha stewart's magazine. They featured a product called Home Heartbeat Home Automation Water package

last month which will email or text message you if it detects a leak

Reply to
The Henchman

All of this sounds very complicated and costly. Turn off the water heater (water and gas or electric) and connect a water sensor to the sump pump, which sounds an alarm or flashes a red light on the outside of the house. Pay a neighbor $20 and ask him to watch the house. If the red light flashes, he can call you on your cell, and you can call a plumber from wherever you are located. This seems a lot cheaper and easier, and uses less electricity too. (shutting off water heater is a savings too). The neighbor will need a key in case a plumber is called REGARDLESS if you use this method or the costly hi-tech stuff.

Reply to
jw

Works nice if you have neighbors you know well enough to ask a favor like that, and can trust- many of us do not. But why not just turn off the water entirely, and have the neighbor walk through every couple of days? If basement is flooding from OUTSIDE water, the neighbor will likely also be having problems, and know to check your place too. If asking a neighbor is too weird, most property management services or rent-a-cop services will also do short-term 'building check' service.

I'd look for a house-sitter, or even a short-term rental customer. I'll throw in the standard note to talk to insurance agent- many companies get anxious about unoccupied houses when it is more than a couple of weeks. Insurance agent can also provide suggestions about people to check the place.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Send him to Smarthome's catalog. They have several monitors that can dial or email, as I recall.

Micajah

Reply to
Micajah

If you have trustworthy neighbours of course or a reliable house sitter, which a lot of us don't. What about rural homeowners or if you have daily sprinkler systems or family live far.

I wouldn't get one of these fancy systems myself but I do see the need for them. Whether or not they work as advertised is a different matter.

Reply to
The Henchman