Woodcraft clamp deal

Page 3 of 3
Brian Henderson wrote:

Well, "idiot" implies they're doing something irrational. They're not buying SUVs thinking they're getting great fuel economy; they're buying them as a status symbol.
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

From a certain perspective (mine, for instance) buying a SUV to flash as some sort of status symbol counts as irrational.
Bill
--
Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as
one goes on.
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Exactly. Buy expensive quality hand tools, and use them to make beautiful items, for a status symbol. If you need to show off put a Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley plane on your dashboard while driving:-) Take it with you when you park, no sense tempting fate. Joe

But people don't usually buy expensive tools as a status symbol, they buy them because they work. Anyone who buys expensive tools just to look at them is just as much an idiot as the SUV-owners.
Brian Henderson wrote:

If you buy the tools it makes more sense to use them as a status symbol, or maybe we should call them something else. Think of what you could buy from Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley for the cost of an suv! Joe
On 27 Nov 2006 16:10:14 -0800, upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Which makes them yuppie idiots.
Brian Henderson wrote:

I always thought of cars as interesting status symbols, especially with all the creative financing and leasing available nowadays. It's not _that_ difficult to get an "impressive" car for almost anyone with a job.
One of my local small airports is next to a good sized trailer park. I know, go figure! <G> There are brand new examples of many very expensive cars parked in front of the trailers.
The most expensive car where I've personally known the owner was a rare Audi (Only 501 produced, to meet some World Rally "production car" rule) owned by a 30 year old who worked for me. He lived with his parents...
tommyboy wrote:

No, they came on Saturday. I didn't post until Sunday morning. Even so, I was surprised to get a saturday delivery especially since I didn't pay shipping.

I believe FedEx now does home deliveries on Saturdays at no extra cost.
tommyboy wrote:

That's nice since UPS seems to have determined that a 7 day transit time is "on schedule" for a 3 day service package.
Never again, UPS is now on my permanent black list and any company that refuses to use an alternate shipper will not get my business either.
Pete C.

Last I heard, Fedex Home only delivers Tuesday through Saturday. Why, I have no idea as folks aren't home that much more on Saturdays these days. If you have to get someone to sign, why bother going out the other four days?
Brian Elfert