wood for the coffin they carry you off in but not very often

watched a good movie and the main character makes his own coffin as the time nears he was sick with something but i think the details were left out they didn't really matter in the movie

so who is going to make their own and what will the wood choice(s) be

i think mighty oak is a good choice but redwood is lighter and might look more dramatic

a pine box would suffice too

but now i wonder if i use some found wood would this be considered upcycling

i guess it would be recycling as it will go back in the ground

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:mjikln$6rl$1 @dont-email.me:

Mahogany is traditional.

But I think when my time comes I'm just going to have them throw me in the ocean, no coffin needed.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

RE: Subject

Donation of body to med school.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nope - recycling.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Morticians use excelsior (shredded wood) for padding/bedding in coffins. That would decay without problems, also. They probably use the undyed aspen.

I purchase the 25 lb box of aspen, for upholstery stuffings, when a customer wants that kind of original stuffing reinstalled. Would likely need 50 lbs for a coffin.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Elm was often used in the UK. Graham

Reply to
graham

I can't speak for everywhere, but in these parts a coffin is usually placed in a concrete burial vault in the ground, protected from soil, moisture, burrowing small critters, etc. Unless there's some law against it, if someone makes their own coffin they could choose whatever type of wood strikes their fancy.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I just cut up a large sweetgum log for bowl blanks. I cut it in 18" lengths then slice off blanks lengthwise. Today I am hauling off 8 large trash bags of sweetgum excelsior. It really makes a lot when you cut it lengthwise. Can't give it away around here.

Reply to
G. Ross

Make sure that 1) It isn't too heavy for the mourners to carry or lower 2) The handles stay attached when it is loaded and carried.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

.... couldn't resist :-)

John T.

hubops

There are restrictions on location and the body must not float. Navy still does it according to those rules. Ashes not restricted.

Reply to
Casper

A pine box for me. What's the point of a really nice coffin? I never understood that.

So the living are not ashamed??? get real.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'm trying to talk my friends into doing this for/with me. Some get it, some don't...I guess I know who my closest friends are.

DerbyDad03

Sorry - I don't get it - there's no caption to explain what's going on around the campfire .. John T.

hubops

What's going on around the campfire is a bunch of friends reminiscing about the friend who is the source of the flames.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good way to go.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They might want to hold off on the s'mores though.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Everyone should be entitled to a last midnight snack. Someone is bound to drop a marshmallow!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

watch that movie i mentioned then it might be clearer in other words it is a racket

i never heard that explanation

Reply to
Electric Comet

there is also the sky burial