wood for the coffin they carry you off in but not very often

Page 1 of 2
watched a good movie and the main character makes his own coffin as the time nears he was sick with something but i think the details were left out they didn't really matter in the movie
so who is going to make their own and what will the wood choice(s) be
i think mighty oak is a good choice but redwood is lighter and might look more dramatic
a pine box would suffice too
but now i wonder if i use some found wood would this be considered upcycling
i guess it would be recycling as it will go back in the ground

Mahogany is traditional.
But I think when my time comes I'm just going to have them throw me in the ocean, no coffin needed.
John
On Wed, 20 May 2015 15:01:30 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Nope - recycling.
On 20/05/2015 12:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Elm was often used in the UK. Graham

There are restrictions on location and the body must not float. Navy still does it according to those rules. Ashes not restricted.

<thumbs up> Yup, yup. I know of plenty from MA down to DC that can do that too.
On Wed, 20 May 2015 18:59:20 +0000 (UTC)

i think he used that in the movie

that works too weighted down with all those pennies
i have seen floating and burning funeral pyres that could draw undue attention though and then you are back to wood selection for the float and the burn
bamboo for the floats and fir or spruce for the burn
RE: Subject
Donation of body to med school.
Lew
Morticians use excelsior (shredded wood) for padding/bedding in coffins. That would decay without problems, also. They probably use the undyed aspen.
I purchase the 25 lb box of aspen, for upholstery stuffings, when a customer wants that kind of original stuffing reinstalled. Would likely need 50 lbs for a coffin.
http://americanexcelsior.com/catalogs/?cat=3
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

I just cut up a large sweetgum log for bowl blanks. I cut it in 18" lengths then slice off blanks lengthwise. Today I am hauling off 8 large trash bags of sweetgum excelsior. It really makes a lot when you cut it lengthwise. Can't give it away around here.
--
GW Ross

If it's comprehensible, it's obsolete.
On Wed, 20 May 2015 17:03:49 -0700 (PDT)

i think my pillow will be ok as is for padding
On 5/20/2015 12:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

> found wood would this be considered upcycling

I can't speak for everywhere, but in these parts a coffin is usually placed in a concrete burial vault in the ground, protected from soil, moisture, burrowing small critters, etc. Unless there's some law against it, if someone makes their own coffin they could choose whatever type of wood strikes their fancy.

Make sure that 1) It isn't too heavy for the mourners to carry or lower 2) The handles stay attached when it is loaded and carried.
On Thu, 21 May 2015 13:35:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pA993&cat=3,43659
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pA996&cat=3,43659
.... couldn't resist :-)
John T.
--- ---
On 5/20/2015 2:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

A pine box for me. What's the point of a really nice coffin? I never understood that.
So the living are not ashamed??? get real.
--
Jeff

On Thu, 21 May 2015 14:29:27 -0400

watch that movie i mentioned then it might be clearer in other words it is a racket

i never heard that explanation
On Thu, 21 May 2015 23:12:14 -0500

thought they did that so they would not pop up when the water table gets high
i will have some holes in mine so it doe not pop up

You're thinking of Louisiana, I suspect, where they do have problems with burials not staying buried.

Don't think that will work...a wood coffin full of water will still float.
John
On Fri, 22 May 2015 18:18:57 +0000 (UTC)

less bouyant and less likely to pop up
but these are the right things to discuss
so ironwood with holes might be called for
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 1:20:09 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

Even with concrete boxes, there have been coffins that float, pushing the c oncrete lid off the box, then the coffin floats away.
Here in Louisiana, we're not allowed to make our own coffins.... takes away from the economy of certified coffin makers. Only a specific group of mo nks, in New Orleans, can still make their own coffins, and they had to go t o court (fight the morticians' lobby) to retain that right.
Sonny