Why wood prices are going up

Page 4 of 7
Michael Burton wrote:

I'm just basing all of this on a four page article in Popular Mechanics this month. It goes on about how there's a whole new generation of "sport" aircraft that are going to be approved by the FAA soon. The Cessna 150 (or 172, I forget) is held out as an example of the old school bottom end at $150,000, and the article talks about all the <$50,000 planes that will be available very soon. They all look pretty dinky, mind you. Dinky but fun.
(Well, bearing in mind that, yes, I'm pretty much too much of a wuss these days to seriously think about going more than 8' off the ground, unless I'm climbing a tree.)
I'll fly anything but forget the tree.

Yes there was! Didn't you see that fuel delivery truck broke down on the LaPorte Freeway last week? That was the reason supply was so short for a few minutes. Then, they let it slip that the truck was on it's way back from a delivery. And the price immediately dropped a nickel. <G>
It's the old "any refuge in a storm" theory. "Any reason to gouge a nickel".
--
JC from Gnat Flats, Texas
Home of the Notso OK Corral

It is probable that we need to return to the early '70s and the windfall profit tax laws. A lot of this price gouging would disappear if there were no extra profits made.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

Bwaaa ha ha! That's a good one. Got any more?
Don't expect anyone in Washington to give a rat's ass about windfall profits and price gouging. They think that's just the market at work. Bwaaa ha ha!
Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel responds:

Dunno, but if memory serves, Nixon was the one who introduced the windfall profits regulations during our first, greatest gas crisis (another invention of our Middle Eastern buddies).
Hard to believe, isn't it?
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson
But Charlie, give credit where credit is due. The only people with a worse track record of international screwups are the Btrit's. They GAVE Iraq and the rest of the middle East away - and with it the oil. Woops. Forgot the French. But they are so sorry they are a lesson unto themselves.
On 18 Sep 2003 18:08:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The British gave away the Middle East?...what an interesting way to think of someone else's land.
John Emmons
(Charlie Self)

Just a day or two ago I watched a book presentation on C-Span2 titled - I think - "19 Weeks". The author stated that G.Britain was 6 months or so away from total and absolute bankruptcy during the summer of 1940. The British involvement in Western Europe as well as defending itself during the Battle of Britain cost the country extreme amounts of money. In his opinion that was the turning point of the British Empire losing its dominance as a world power and its need to lighten the load of all its colonies. They spent so much during such a short period of time and just couldn't afford to maintain the far reaches.
Owen Lowe responds:

Sounds like deja vu backwards, doesn't it?
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Sounds like the Monopoly Game when you have to sell a property to pay rent on someone elses. Once that happens, its all over but the crying.
I had never heard that but it makes sense. When you look at all the trouble areas in the world today, many came from Britian and the way they divided up/split the countries and to whom they gave them to. Israel/Palestine, Iraq/Iran/etc., India/Pakistan, others, Egypt, heck they owned most of the world it seems like. When they left Israel, they couln't even leave at the correct hour; left an hour early and it caught the Arabs off gurd and the Israeli's moved in. Anyway, thanks for the information. I had not even considered tat. Happens all too often when you look at problems and go (almost) to the source.
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:07:11 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Sure, let's kill the industry again. I lived through that ill conceived idea, right her in Texas buddy. It put hundreds of thousands on the streets and killed the city of Houston for a decade. Screw that.
You want to talk windfall profits? Take a look at pharamacuticals, banking, finance and medicine and leave the god damn oil industry alone.
bruce writes:

I can't argue at least the pharmaceuticals need controls, but what they really need is there is a share-out with other countries for the R&D, so the U.S. consumer doesn't pay the entire load for the entire world. The medical industry is a real case. I don't even begin to know what the solution is.
But I'm not exactly sure how a windfall profits tax could have done so much damage: it taxed only excess profits.
Check your info. I think it was the Arabs and their shutting off the oil taps that created the Houson problem.
If it wasn't, and the oil industry needs to screw the consumer more than it normally does just to stay in business, then it's really time for tighter regulation.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message LOTS OF SNIPPAGE

What exactly are "excess profits". More than you get? More than you think someone should get? 1%, 10%, 500%, 5000% ??? If you sell an article or book, how do we determine how much of your profits are "excess" so we can take them all?
Collusion and price fixing are criminal acts and should be prosecuted. However, like any crime, you should be able to prove it and not punish someone simply because you are envious or because you covet something they have and don't want to pay their asking price.
Dave Hall
Dave Hall asks:

Dave, c'mon. That's nonsense. The windfall profits tax hit profits that exceeded those in a normal year by something like 1000%. It did stop the kind of at-the-pump-gouging we're getting now. Maybe it was unfair to business--pardon me while I choke at the total unfairness to bidness in this country over the past couple decades.

I'm not exactly sure how you get covetessness out of a windfall profits tax, nor do I much care, but it does seem that you might have some form to your argument other than an insult. Otherwise, your argument doesn't stand up at all well.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
The at the pump gouging right now starts somewhere that is not the US. Just in case you haven't heard, OPEC is cutting production rates, AGAIN.
--
Young Carpenter

Young Carpenter writes:

Of course they are. The price just started to moderate here. And you think there's no collusion with U.S. refiners and distributors?
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
You're a Democrat, aren't you, Charlie?
I, for one, think we are already over-regulated. Sure, there are cases where some controls might be appropriate, but in general I feel that in terms of government "Less is More".
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

This is not directed at you, Mike, but the actual "less is more" crowd is currently in power and what they mean by "less is more" is more for them and less for you! ;~)
Kim