wood prices

I'm a reporter doing a story about rising wood prices and home improvement. Can any of you comment for me on how this affects your craft? I'm at snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com. Thx.

Reply to
Avery Johnson

It makes things more expensive to build.

Reply to
MikeG

Everyone's a comedian...

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I think you'd better simplify it some more, Mike. He's only a reporter, mind you.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

LOL!!!

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

OK - Without any specific guidance I would offer that it impacts us more than homebuilders:

1) Home builders recoup what they spend and price increases are flowed to their customers. Relatively few of us have "customers" so costs come out of our pockets.

2) While not directly related to wood costs, we do not have the advantages of capitalization that homebuilders do. We buy our own tools and have to pay for blade sharpening, maintenance, etc. without cost flowdown or tax advantages.

3) Builders buy material, including the hardwoods many of us use, at quantity discounts. Yes, some of us do buy at the lower end of the quantity discount ranges but few of us can afford to have hundreds or thousands of board-feet in stock. For this reason, some dedicated woodworkers band together or join clubs that provide quantity buying opportunities. Others saw their own wood and allow it to dry naturally - a time consuming process.

The average Wall Street Journal reader probably has very little appreciation for the cost of finish or furniture grade hardwoods, let alone the exotic woods that some of us use. For example, I have built some Oak and Walnut rocking horses and occasionally someone asks what it would cost to build one. When I explain that a horse has $140 worth of expense, some think I am lying so I can charge a large price. Fact is the $140 is the cost of the bill of materials + a 10% "wear and sharpening" cost that really isn't adequate.

Ron Brogan

Reply to
RonB

Rumor mill has it that there might be a ventriloquist in the wood-pile, too.

We've got Mortimer, _and_ Charlie. Edgar hasn't been seen for a while, though.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 9:15am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com (Avery=A0Johnson) who claims: I'm a reporter doing a story about rising wood prices and home improvement. Can any of you comment for me on how this affects your craft?

Second thread you've started today. And, still no credentials given.

JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened.

- Death waxes philosophical

Reply to
J T

He cacked it long ago. Trust me.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I don't know his and he don't know mine. The 'net: where everyone's an expert; all prospective single n' looking males are 6'2", 210lbs, straight teeth; yadda-yadda-yadda

Reply to
patrick conroy

Candice is still around.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Recently, I have been getting a lot of free wood due to strong summer storms and I've been turning wood rather than building cabinets. Somehow many woodworkers find alternatives to high-priced woods, which is actually a very good thing.

Reply to
Phisherman

Did you notice his e-mail address?

Reply to
igor

Igor responds:

An email address is not a credential.

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie --

As someone who has been dealing with the press for decades (I just realized how long it has been), I find meaning in an e-mail address that ends wsj.com. (And I say this as someone who has not always been treated well by the Journal.) wsj.com IS a credential - even if not good enough for you, by whatever standard, to inspire a reply to the OP's questions. Indeed, someone might write chapter and verse about his/her supposed "credential" as a reporter but then list a yahoo.com e-mail account. Which should mean more: A wsj.com e-mail acc't alone or some explanation with a yahoo account? (In the latter case, I call the editor - some supposed stringers are legit.) Now, one might still want some add'l info - e.g., what beat the reporter is on - but that's simply more detail.

Webster online: credential - Function: noun 1 : something that gives a title to credit or confidence 2 plural : testimonials showing that a person is entitled to credit or has a right to exercise official power

IMO, someone who has access to a wsj.com e-mail account has presented A credential. YMMV. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

As a freelance writer for a few years--starting back around '68--I find that I like more than an address with no title as a credential. For all you know, it's the receptionist writing the request.

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

Exactly - that is YOUR standard, with which, FWIW, I have no dispute. If I had had something worthwhile to offer OP/reporter, that would have been enough for me, for starters. All I was saying is that there was A credential proffered.

Reply to
igor

HEY - He is a she and she is a reporter for the Wall Street Journal. I spoke with her. She is having difficulty finding the right group of people to discuss the effect building material prices is having on DIY home improvement as well as professional.

She knows she is having some problems. This group is leaving impressions but not much help.

Reply to
RonB

You get a LOT more resourceful if you really have a burning desire to create something.

After being laid off from a fairly nice job two years ago, I was forced to make serious alterations in the old budget. This is when I found out just how much money I'd been wasting, going to the rip-off building material houses. I have found a lot of scrap lumber that I sanded down to find beautiful grain and great seasoning. I make guitars, and the wood at a lot of the lumberyards is too green to make a quality instrument. I have found much better lumber laying by the side of the road. I have not yet resorted to dumpster diving, but I certainly don't rule out THAT venue either!

Reply to
Tom Dooley

Maybe if she gave us more information what she's after, more of us would "chip" in and spend effort helping her? I'm not going to drop 3 pages on someone I only heard from once with a vague question.

Reply to
Dave Hinz