Wood prices: Argh, choke

Talk about being spoiled. In recent years (18 of 'em) I've gotten 90% of my wood from local sawmills.

Now, I've got a couple of books to work on and require a few exotics and some things like sugar maple, in modest lengths (to 6' or so) and mostly in turning square sizes, 1-1/2" or so square.

I knew going in that ebony was out, even for the 8-10" lengths needed for some parts. Fahgeddabout $80 for a 1-1/4" diameter, 7" long handle, especially since with my turning skills I usually need a starter piece as a warm up. That and cocobolo I knew would be non-starters, but, jeez, hard maple prices have gone totally bonkers as well.

I do believe that maple just got replaced with cherry. I've got enough 12/4 and 16/4 cherry here to do the projects for that one over and over and over again, with much remaining for other things. Also plenty of oak around, and ready to use, but I need to dig out some hickory or pecan, and maybe birch or beech.

So now, I'm looking for a source for osage orange. I'd love to do an entire project out of osage orange, but will be happy to get a couple (don't forget my need for practice) turning blanks about 1-3/4" square and a foot long.

Michael Burton has the needed mesquite at his Thunderbird Hardwoods. tbird-hardwoods.com for those in need of mesquite.

Reply to
Charles Self

Charles, take a look at this site for Mesquite. Since you are looking at shipping from Texas this small saw mill may be a better value. I was there yesterday and looked at some of his Misquite and it was very nice looking. Whole boards with out the bark. ;~) His Mesquite, 4/4 Grade (FAS/SEL) is $4.75 bf.

Leon

Walnut for $3.50 Ash for $1.70

After the wood pricing rant the other day, I've decided I'm in the wrong place. I'm moving to Texas - up the street from Swing...

At _least_ I should drive over there for a pickup load, a short vacation, and an evening to see the WRB.

Thanks for the link. Shipping would be a bear.. but... you can't even GET mesquite here...

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Looks like I may be building another house just around the corner from mine ... what you save on the wood, you can put on the house. Let me know when you're ready to make a deal. ;)

We can handle that.

Reply to
Swingman

I picked up that 200 bf of Oak yesterday. My wife was off all week and volunteered to go. The pile of wood in my garage looks awful intimidating. I guess when I get caught up I'll start surfacing it in my spare time. Out of about 45 boards about 7 are cupped. Those are about 10" wide. I suspect I will rip them in half and then surface them.

Reply to
Leon

intimidating.

Know the feeling ... doesn't sound like much, but that's a lot of wood. I am still trying to work my way out from under that 125 bf of walnut I hauled back from AR last year. I've had an awful lot of waste, but it was free and has made for a lot of "contrasting wood" projects.

Reply to
Swingman