which would you buy?

I'm ready to upgrade my miter saw. I'm can go with a 12" dual-compound non-sliding chop saw for about $350 or get a 10" Bosch single-compound sliding miter saw for about $355. Clearly I'll have more cross-cut capacity with the sliding saw, but I won't have the dual compound bevel, and I'll lose a little in height capacity. Which would you go with and why?
Mike
I forgot that I'll be putting the saw on a mobile cart, and will store it against a wall, so I am also a little concerned with the amount of space the sliding saw requires behind it. Is this a big deal for those of you that own these?

and

and
Mike: Do you ever use the miter saw on boards wider than 8 inches? Do you use it for moldings?
Bob

It seems that lately I've been cutting boards as wide as 12 inches, but you're right, the majorit is in the 6-8" range. When I get rough lumber, however, I sometimes get it up to 3-3.5" thick, and wonder if the slider would cut this better, just in the mode of cutting action it has. As far as moldings, when I do case work I use them a lot, but haven't done that in a while. I usually do the miters on the table saw, but if I had a better chop saw maybe that would change.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

and
I'm a newbie but I'll take a stab here. I have the Dewalt 12" CMS. (Non sliding, only tilts one side) I haven't run into any angles I couldn't manage on my saw yet. Though it can be a pain to flip the board around and sometimes I have to think for a moment about what face should go up. I do wish pretty often that I could chop wider boards since I don't have a real table saw. One other thing that comes to mind is that I tend to be anal about checking my saw each time I change the bevel angle even though I tuned the 90 and 45 degree stops. Personally, I think I would rather flip the board over to cut a bevel from the other side than disturb my saw settings each time. Depends on what you are doing I guess and on how long of a board you can cross cut on your table saw. I wish I had bought a slider now.
Oh, I mounted my saw on a folding base with slide out rollers I got at HD. Ridgid brand. I'm pretty happy with it but some type of length stop would be nice to have.
-Chris
Whatcha planning on cutting? IOW, any "wide" panels (for example)?
I find that my 12" compound miter handles about everything I throw at it, though _occassionally_ I do find myself wishing for a slider or RAS.
Renata
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:53:45 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

My self, I'd go for the compound sliding saw. But, that is because it would suit the work I do and the 12" would be over kill. Can't even begin to guess which would suit your work better.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods