Which saw is best?

Page 1 of 2
I've been reading the classified ads for used saws. I've seen a variety advertised and just can't make up my mind which one would be best.
The selections are: Ban saw Arm saw Arm saw, radial Radeo arm saw with DATO Radial saw
I'm thinking the DATO would be nice to have. Can I use it on a Ban saw?
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Don't forget the venerable Radio Alarm Saw.
David.
You sure can just duck tape it on and stand back.
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome > >
Are you "from" Poland or just "in" Poland?

My preference is for the oft-advertised radio arm saw.
todd

It would be nice, if not nearly as amusing, if the classified order takers had some basic idea about what you were talking about when you dictate the ad.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

had some basic idea about what you were talking about

What gets me it that the same error is repeated in a local paper week, after week, after week with different ads. Stuff happens, but at some point you'd think it would be noticed. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Ed Pawlowski notes:

Especially by the clown who placed the ad. It's a bit of a stretch to expect an 18 or 19 year old typist to know the ins and outs of every major hobby in the US or Canada. But you would think that someone who places an ad and pays for it would be motivated to make sure the copy is somewhere close to correct.
Charlie Self "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
On 25 Apr 2004 23:20:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I once (in another life in LoCal) had a drone from the Pennysaver call me about a properly written and edited ad in the local paper. He wanted me to put it in the Pennysaver, too. I bit, he did it, and I called him and tore him a new a**hole the day it came out. First off, he put it in the wrong cities. Second, they retyped it so my ad then said "computer softwear tutoring".
It's one thing to screw up, but to do so with a perfectly good copy of the ad right in front of him is downright BRAINDEAD. They lost a customer for life with that one, even though they ran it in the correct cities for double the time I paid for. 4 years of business reputation killed in one instant by a FIDIOT...
Do papers even HAVE editors any more? </rhetorical q>
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming
Larry Jaques writes:

Some do, most don't. But no editor reviews the classified ads or other ads. And a Pennysaver is not a newspaper.
Charlie Self "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
> >Especially by the clown who placed the ad. It's a bit of a stretch to
expect an
Ed Pawlowski responds:

Yeah, well...how do you motivate a person who spent a dozen years or more in school and never learned to spell simple words, who didn't learn the difference between possessives and plurals in even the most fundamental terms (without the complexity of its and it's, their and they're)? I've seen people who are supposedly businessmen and women who have advanced degrees who can't do that, so how do we effectively chastise someone who gets minimum wage for doing the same thing the supposedly educated person making 80 or 100 grand does?
You're right, of course. It just doesn't seem to work that way, at least with any frequency.
Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides
I asked an English major I had a chance to hire about use of apostrophes and after researching he started with "Some writers prefer" and he didn't get any further. Analogous to "Some engineers prefer" NOT! Most engineers can differentiate between ones and zeroes, not all but most. NOT interchangeable.
On 26 Apr 2004 12:57:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:10:10 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

Howdy,
I love ya, but after reading the above several times, I simply do not understand what it is to convey. Both of those sentence fragments surely appear to me to be plurals rather than possessives. What is NOT analogous about them?
I am the one missing the point. Can you try it again?
Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

I'm sorry, but I either don't see why you stopped the guy or don't see what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say that English is not engineering or are you trying to say that you criticized the poor bastard for trying to give you an accurate answer to your question?

--
--John
I was speaking as an engineer where specifics are the norm. I've never been told the correct way to use an apostrophe for possession. We had a good relationship and taught each other a lot while working together. He was hired as a CO-OP student bound for a degree in Accounting. Dedicated worker and those aren't too common. Didn't mean to throw a curve.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:41:01 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Howdy,
Well, it took me a while, but I now suspect that the OP was trying to say that the proper use of the apostrophe was not an issue of "preference" but was, instead, an issue of clearly defined rules.
Where the analogy to engineering comes in, well, that is too deep for me...
All the best,
--
Kenneth

AYUP, to an engineer fuzzy logic is a fairly new concept as typically when dealing with equations and equal signs you do NOT deal with preferences. Sorry about being so obtuse but English was NOT my major.
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:12:10 -0400, Kenneth

This week's Pennysaver had an ad for some lumber. Something about cherry, oak and maple, minimum 8" wide by 10 ft long, lot for $9.75 OBO. Of course it was supposed to be $975 OBO.
In a slightly different note, Charlie, check out the boats section of the Parkersbug News want ads. There is an ad there for 2 - 750 Jetskis for $5,300 firm. This ad has been running for at least 2.5 years straight. The paper says it will run your ad until it sells. I believe the current book value on those skis in perfect condition is about $2,500 retail. I have to check the paper every time I visit mom just to chuckle that that ad is still running.
Dave Hall

SWMBO once saw an ad for a horse that said "nose is stuffed". It took us a little while to figure out that the person taking the ad had misunderstood "knows his stuff".