Which glue to use?

Page 1 of 2
Hello, I want to adhere, face to face, two pieces of mdf. Both have been primed with Zinsser shellac based, white pigmented primer. Which adhesive would be appropriate for this job? Thanks. TB
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 2, 5:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@tb.org wrote:

The shellac has pretty much ruled out any adhesive which needs an absorptive surface, I'd suggest either epoxy, or if strength isn't crucial, silicone.
Add pictures here
✖

Screws.
Elmer's white glue is as good as any for what you are doing. In reality, you are adhering primer to primer.
Add pictures here
✖

Right. The primer could always be sanded off at the contact area. Then any glue would do.
✖
On 8/3/10 9:09 AM, RicodJour wrote:

My thoughts.
--

-MIKE-

✖
On Aug 2, 5:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@tb.org wrote:

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and what sort of loading will the bond experience?
✖
Polyurethane glues such as PL400 that come in tubes (NOT Gorilla glue) and are solvent based will penetrate the shellac if properly applied.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

Yup. Although pretty drastic, that will work. PL 600 is a candidate too. I was trying to be gentle, not knowing what was going on here.
Add pictures here
✖

Wait..... don't Polyurethane glues need moisture?
Add pictures here
✖

Not for the _tube_ stuff. While it has polyurethane resins in it, it isn't using the same carriers or solvents as the Gorilla stuff.
The poly will dry (as you know) to a super hard, dense plastic with no air or water. It kicks off when it leaves the tube due to its exposure to air.
Woe be to the one that follows me to remove the tempered white finished masonite beadboard wainscot that is popular now. I glue it with tube poly and hide the brads in the bead grooves. It penetrates the hard masonite easily, and goes right through many coats of paint to adhere.
Several years after completing a kitchen remodel, I was called for cabinet repairs due to water leaks. I had to cut out the pieces I glued with that stuff as it destroyed everything that I glued with it. (Excellent!)
I like the stuff as it is impervious to just about everything that affects other glues.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

Almost every PE I know begins onsite conversations with "PL..."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Heh heh.... you betcha!
Robert
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 2, 5:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@tb.org wrote:

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and what sort of loading will the bond experience?
✖
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:40:01 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

It's a kids dollhouse. I need to glue milled clapboard pieces made of mdf to the sides of the house, also made of mdf.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 3, 1:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@tb.org wrote:

sillicon
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

silicone might be easier.
Add pictures here
✖

Silicone is for those who don't dare to venture into the realms of sillicon, silliputty or sillisybin.
Add pictures here
✖

Or those physicists with their Silly String Theory.
✖

That resonates enough with me to give me a hadron.
Add pictures here
✖

Well, then, you might be interested to know that Cuba lead the way in investigating sub-atomic particles. They were so far ahead of everyone else that it became trivial to them, and they wrote popular songs about the physics involved. Here's proof - a Russian study group trying to glean some of the Cuban's knowledge by emulating them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGs-f5iwRs
Russian studies are very informal.
✖