Which glue to use?

Hello, I want to adhere, face to face, two pieces of mdf. Both have been primed with Zinsser shellac based, white pigmented primer. Which adhesive would be appropriate for this job? Thanks. TB

Reply to
TB

The shellac has pretty much ruled out any adhesive which needs an absorptive surface, I'd suggest either epoxy, or if strength isn't crucial, silicone.

Reply to
Robatoy

Screws.

Elmer's white glue is as good as any for what you are doing. In reality, you are adhering primer to primer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and what sort of loading will the bond experience?

RicodJour

Polyurethane glues such as PL400 that come in tubes (NOT Gorilla glue) and are solvent based will penetrate the shellac if properly applied.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yup. Although pretty drastic, that will work. PL 600 is a candidate too. I was trying to be gentle, not knowing what was going on here.

Reply to
Robatoy

Wait..... don't Polyurethane glues need moisture?

Reply to
Robatoy

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and what sort of loading will the bond experience?

RicodJour

-------------------------------------- SLOW curing laminating epoxy thickened to the consistency of runny catsup with micro-balloons.

May be total overkill for the application, but it will certainly get the job done.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why slow curing?

RicodJour

Right. The primer could always be sanded off at the contact area. Then any glue would do.

RicodJour

Not for the _tube_ stuff. While it has polyurethane resins in it, it isn't using the same carriers or solvents as the Gorilla stuff.

The poly will dry (as you know) to a super hard, dense plastic with no air or water. It kicks off when it leaves the tube due to its exposure to air.

Woe be to the one that follows me to remove the tempered white finished masonite beadboard wainscot that is popular now. I glue it with tube poly and hide the brads in the bead grooves. It penetrates the hard masonite easily, and goes right through many coats of paint to adhere.

Several years after completing a kitchen remodel, I was called for cabinet repairs due to water leaks. I had to cut out the pieces I glued with that stuff as it destroyed everything that I glued with it. (Excellent!)

I like the stuff as it is impervious to just about everything that affects other glues.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My thoughts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's a kids dollhouse. I need to glue milled clapboard pieces made of mdf to the sides of the house, also made of mdf.

Reply to
TB

sillicon

Reply to
Robatoy

silicone might be easier.

Reply to
chaniarts

Sigh. In future, please give complete information so we're not wasting people's time guessing what you're trying to do, okay?

You can use anything for that application. Literally - any adhesive would work.

Latex caulk is probably the easiest all the way around. Silicone caulk is more expensive and presents problems if you're trying to paint over it.

RicodJour

Why slow curing?

----------------------------------- Slow curing laminating resin insures long pot life (30 Min) and reduces possible exothermic heat build up problems that can happen with faster epoxies.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Right. Thanks.

RicodJour

Almost every PE I know begins onsite conversations with "PL..."

Reply to
Swingman