Which 3hp bandsaw to buy? Grizzly/Jet?

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

will give years of service; and sells for $1,100. What could the Laguna have that the Grizzly does not? The Laguna is lighter, so it is probably not radically more robust construction. While the Laguna has an American motor, I have never heard a complaint about Grizzly motors, so that is probably not a big difference. A search on 'laguna bandsaw' has many users complaining of customer service and defects on delivery. Looking though 'grizzly bandsaw' doesn't show such things, so that probably doesn't account for the price difference. Laguna skips the miter gauge and includes their light duty fence; so those are not advantages. Maybe the Laguna blade guides are greatly superior (though I have never actually heard that anywhere) but they sell for $265, so they can't account for the $700 price difference, even if they are that good. So, how does the Laguna justify the price difference? Because it is Bulgarian rather than Taiwanese? That must be it. The Bulgarians are widely know for their fine bandsaws.

More often than not numbers on specifications are what the manufacturers want you to see. If you do a good search on Grizzly also you will probably find complaints about how their products arrive. You see what you want to see to justify your purchase. I will say that I too read the complaints about Laguna and personally have not had anything but a good relationship with them.
In many instances a Yugo performs just as well as a Lexus.
I am quite sure that you will be reporting back here that you are very happy with your Grizzly purchase. It's all in what you are looking for in a BS.

But I am very happy with my two Toyotas, and didn't even consider the Lexus.

to deal with a 460 pound crate.

If you have the freight forwarder offload it from the truck using their electric lift expect to get a serious balance due bill from them. I got clipped for 0.50+/lb. for a load of MDF cabinet doors I ordered for a job. Smoked my biscuits.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

but better than the alternatives. Once I have it on the ground, I can strip off the crate, table and motor, and get the weight down to 273 pounds. Still heavy, but carryable.
How do you like the Oneida portable?

I am interested, let me know how you like it.
Take the 9s out
9hodget9@9gmail.9com

My guess is that the stand, table and motor are not attached to the BS..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

it in his truck.

Just got a G0593 & G1023SLWx a few weeks ago.
Grizzly sent me an email with the shipper & contact. I called them and made sure they knew this was residential and I wanted to have it end up in my garage at the end of a 30 ft slightly sloping driveway. They said it was the driver's call but they had delivered many Grizzly's and could usually pallet jack into the garage. The biggest hassle was getting the jointer bed onto the lift gate. Getting it all to the garage was not a big deal. Tipped the driver....
<snip>

shop.. As far as the $40 for getting it off the truck, it's a ripoff but not one that I couldn't live with...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

That all depends on the seller. My Laguna was off loaded from a lift gate and pallet jacked into my garage, no extra charge. The guy was happy to do it.

LOL. Yeah those things are heavy. You might consider uncrating and sliding it down on its spine on top of cardboard if going into a cellar.

Aye, I had problems with my Grizzly contractor saw, but their customer service is the reason my shop keeps getting more and more Griz-Green. ;-) I couldn't get one of the stamped steel wings to align. It was more curved than my reading glasses. But a single phone call to Grizzly had cast iron wings coming my way, and they split the shipping of the new/old wings. I couldn't be happier. "Life Happens" but the Grizzly tech folks help me keep making sawdust. ;-)
-- Mark

FIY, I strongly suspect also that the Griz in not crap. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with in spending and willing to compromise with. I had the $1,000 Rikon that got glowing reviews, "in it's class". What I was looking for was a trouble free set up, perfect tracking, plenty of power for resawing, and smooth operation. In my case I paid about 150% more than the Rikon and for me I got what I wanted. IMHO well worth the extra money. My purchase also included the mobility kit, shipping, Resaw King blade and 3 other blades. Discounting those items would have dropped the price more then $500. My Laguna is so much more convenient to use that I use it for more than I ever had used my previous BS. I don't think twice about rolling it out and making a small cut rather than using the jig saw like I used to do.
If you are in a hurry, I'd say go with the Griz, that is "probably" a safe and economical choice. If you want a lot of band saw that requires little to no prep and tweaking before each use, I would say to look into Laguna and MiniMax. Both of those companies have demo DVD's that point out advantages and in general what to look for when shopping for a new BS. I can say that if you step up to the Laguna or MiniMax you will not be disappointed and may walk away with a silly grin on your face every time you use it. IMHO if you are going to use the saw occasionally any brand will probably be good. If you are going to be using the saw regularly I'd say set your sights a bit higher.