where to buy pipe clamps?

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Reply to
ben

Ben: Jorgensons are the classic ones--orange, in 1/2" or 3/4" diameter. I used them for years until Rockler came out with improved blue ones that are higher to clear the crank and wider to be much more stable. Either brand works just fine, I just find the Rockler to be more user-friendly. Sources are Amazon.com, Rockler.com or Woodcraft.com. Expect to pay $10-14 per pair plus shipping. Or you can get them at many hardware stores, Rockler or Woodcraft. Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Can't imagine the Jorgensen or a Chinwanese knockoff aren't in stock at any of the Borg's, but...

Rockler is what I would recommend as best buy.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Either the Pony brand pipe clamp fittings or the Rockler big foot are both good clamps. Do a Google Search or go direct to Rockler

Beware of CHEAP ones, they are usually POS. Pony clamps run around $10 and I don't remember what Rockler wants for theirs

John

Reply to
John

I had a rather large number of Jorgensen clamps that I gradually replaced with the ones from Rockler. Jorgensen clamps can be had for less than $10.00 pr. while the Rockler ones are $11.49 (4 or more). It was worth it to me.

Max D.

Reply to
Max

And to me. Ben if you're listening, ping me. I have four Jorgenson "Pony" clamps for sale--cheap, but watch that shipping cost. They're heavy.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I don't work there.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Apparently, other responders don't like cheap clamps. I do, have had zero problems with any from Harbor Freight, like them as well or better than the Pony clams I have.

Don't forget you have to buy pipe too. And have at least one end threaded.

Most of mine are for 3/4" pipe. Mistake, IMO, as 1/2" is entirely adequate for what I do and are world's lighter.

's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Would also suggest buying black pipe. If one insists on going cheap with the galvanized steel pipe, then it needs to be scratched up with some rough sandpaper or equivalent to work properly with the clamps.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale wrote: ...

Galvanized is normally higher-priced than black...but agree it's more suited for clamps.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

dadiOH wrote: ...

I can believe that...I've never been particularly pleased w/ Pony ones...

I'd disagree there...the flexing of 1/2" pipe even for cabinet work of moderate size is a pita...

If everything were really light work, 1/2" might do, but in general I think they're too light weight/flex too much...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Galv reacts "less" with glue. Black pipe will stain if left in contact with wet glue/wood.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Others will disagree, but I get the 3/4" clamps from Harbor Freight and they have worked great for me. Just make sure you get the ones that have the disk clutch rather then the little toothed quadrant.

These:

these:
latter just don't grip reliably, but the others work fine.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

good as any (I don't have the new Rocklers though). I disagree on the

1/2" pipe clamps though. They are not as nice and just about as expensive. If I were going to pay $12 a set for pipe clamps plus the pipes, I think I would just go ahead and buy the cabinet clamps...

Seriously though, the HFs, on sale all the time for maybe $3 or $4, are fine for pipe clamps. I always get my pipe threaded on both ends as the real value of a pipe clamp is the ability to make it as long as you want by adding sections of pipe.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:44:56 GMT, the inscrutable "dadiOH" spake:

I made a comment a few years back about the cheap clamps I bought from HF. I thought they were HF because it took a dozen runs through to get the threads cleaned up enough to work without binding each rotation. That's PFTC for cheapies. Then one day I noticed the name on the side of one and was surprised. It was a Pony. AFAIC, there is no difference between Pony and generic Chiwanese clamps nowadays.

BUT, if you get both ends threaded (and keep them safe) you can join pairs of them together to make very long clamps.

Ditto here. I'm buying all half-inchers from now on.

========================================================= Save the Whales +

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But galvanized tends w/ many clamps to not hold well...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

As much as I hate their company/stores, Rockler has some nice pipe clamps. I particularly like their version that sit taller than most others (read: no more banged knuckles!) Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I was wondering if someone would mention HF. They have two different pipe clamps. The cheap ones are a POS. The higher grade, the ones with the large handle, work just as good as the high price spread and cost about half as much. I've used them for years. They don't even slip on galvanized :-).

Reply to
lgb

Who get's Pony 3/4's at $10???...haven't seen that price anywhere for years (running around $14/ea in NY area)...newer ones don't seem to be anywhere near as user friendly as the ones I bought 20 years ago (new ones seem to have a binding problem which can be a real issue when using multiple clamps and the glue is setting up!).

Guess I'll check out a few Rocklers. BTW, black pipe is the way to go...buy in 10'ft lengths threaded both ends and cut in the middle to make 2 out of one. Pipe is cheap.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Reply to
Lobby Dosser