Where do you buy your tool?

Page 1 of 2
I was wondering where you buy your tools online? and what it is you look for in an online tool distributor?
On Feb 7, 9:44 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Amazon. CPO Bosch. Any seller of repute that will take AMEX. Some consumables like recip saw and Bosch jig saw blades on Ebay. Actually got a couple of good deals on a rainy day on some half sheet sanders on Ebay, a Bosch that was going out of production, and a Milwaukee that has been out for a couple of years. Both were almost new.
Amex is they key to where you purchase as they will fight a lot of your battles for you if you have problems. I have bought computers and computer parts online for repair and building of same for years and have had two major league problems. When the offending vendor nasty to me and wouldn't cooperate with Amex, they TOOK the money out of his account and credited my card. All within 10 days of reporting them.
Also, if you have a business Amex, or any type of corporate card they will automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty by 2X, on them.
YMMV...
Robert
www.coastaltool.com

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

For me it depends on the tool. I don't buy online from Coastal since it's quicker just to drive down and saves the shipping but for stuff they carry that's my first choice.
I've bought some deWalt cordless tools from http://www.toolbarn.com /, mainly because they stock bare tools, which Coastal doesn't. I've got enough batteries and chargers at this point that I don't see any point in paying for more, and the bare tool without battery or charger is a good deal cheaper than the kit. So far none has gone bust on me so I don't know how they'd be on a return.
http://www.grizzly.com has a good line--I've never bought a tool from them but have bought other supplies and found that they've gotten me what I ordered, although they aren't always fast.
IF you know what you're getting, Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com has some real bargains. They also have some real junk. Do your homework before you buy. That's another one though where I have a store nearby so I seldom use their mail order.
Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/ is a good source for hand tools--their planes are excellent, in the same league as Lie Nielsen http://www.lie-nielsen.com/ and usually a bit cheaper (for any given tool check both--sometimes Lee Valley is a bit less, sometimes Lie-Nielsen). I've never been disappointed with a Lee Valley product and Robin Lee checks in here regularly.
--John
<<For me it depends on the tool. I don't buy online from Coastal since it's quicker just to drive down and saves the shipping but for stuff they carry that's my first choice.>>
Me too, but most of the people here don't live less than a mile from Coastal like I do.
Lee

_________________________________

I have found that if you go to the manufacturers web site and click on "where to buy" you tend to get reputable, authorized, and decent pricing. I recently bought a Garman GPS and used Garmin's, "where to buy button" to find an on line/brick and mortar store that was $100 cheaper than the big retail boxes prices advertising sale prices.
On Feb 7, 10:44 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Amazon.com is my go-to place for almost all of my tools bigger than a hammer.
I've gotten my air compressor, miter saw, and most of my pneumatic tools from there. If you're patient, you can get really good deals. Like right now they have free shipping on a ton of their table saws. That's a couple hundred bucks right there that you save.
-Nathan
Thu, Feb 7, 2008, 7:44pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth queryeth: I was wondering where you buy your tools online? and what it is you look for in an online tool distributor?
I have, long, long ago, in another galexy, and another life, bought a few major tools from on-line.. But no longer. I prefer to buy tools I can give a hands on inspections before I buy. There is, of course a however, there always is. However, I am willing at times to purchase small tools, that are not available in my area, or a least at a reasonable price, on-line - such as a couple of eggbeater drills. However, my purchase of such are very few, and seem to never be from the same seller twice.
JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

I've been happy buying tools a couple of times from Lee Valley and Amazon, but I try to buy locally either at a family-owned hardware store or a Woodcraft outlet both nearby, it's nice having people who can give you good advice right down the street. I've ordered once from Grizzly when they had something on sale I wanted, I'd buy from them again if it was something I was familiar with (i.e. I'm not taking any chances sight-unseen on something made in China).
Years ago I worked for a company that did mailorder, the owner claimed one of the rules of buying mailorder was never buy from the cheapest source nor the most expensive; the cheapest place is likely to spring an unwelcome surprise on you and the most expensive rarely delivers extra service to match their arrogant price -- for whatever that's worth.
RE: Subject
Check out www.toolseeker.com
It works for me.
Lew
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:44:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Mostly Lee Valley, Woodcraft, Penn State and Craft supplies..
I want competitive prices, good service, fast shipping and good support people if I have a question or problem..
I don't buy from sites or companies that are new to me unless they've been recommended by someone that knows what they're doing..
I hate web sites with tiny pictures, almost as much as the ones that assume you already know everything about a tool so have just a name and price..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I didn't think about them, but I have also had many great experiences with Craft Supplies as I order Christmas fit ups and goodies from them every year. As for Penn State, great experiences with them, also.
Hard to beat Penn State on some of their prices.
Both ship when they say they will, and products came intact.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why "MyIndustrialTools" of course. Some guy with an email of snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com is posting to a bunch of different news groups about it.
>and what it is you look for in an online tool distributor?
One that doesn't spam.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Stephen... straight up: You have to find a way to decide which tool is going to fill your need. Then you investigate the different suppliers (manufacturers) of such tools. Are you willing to spend the extra money just because a certain tool automatically senses which country it is in, sensing the voltage and all that rot.
The BIG question is whether or not the tool is going to do its job and for how long. Only THEN do issues like price and ease of delivery come into play.
Example:
You have decided to cut stair threads. Not all tools will do that. Now, what will shipping cost of that tool that will cut and shape stair threads.
Okay. My point is this: There is no such supplier that will fill all orders quickly, competitively and adequately.
I buy, for my trade, from http://specialtytools.com / http://woodcraft.com/ sells me CMT routerbits and now Festool. LeeValley.com I worship. I can't say more than that.
Are you, Stephen starting to see a pattern here?
WTF are you after?
Robatoy wrote:

Probably our $$$$. See:
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=tLyPFhgAAADa3D84I2GGThlXQKp7F-kBtiDKbEn1fjJfYkQTWXi1Vg
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

*slaps own face*

Ahhh.... don't sweat the small stuff. Look at it this way, there was probably a SOME good that came out of this thread. Look how many fine establishments have been mentioned, ones that are known and trusted by the group.
A lot of us got hooked here. So what. We don't need MORE cynicism on this group!
I say we all have a drink on StephenBurke, the dickhead, on a job that in the end, was poorly done.
Robert

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.
Robatoy wrote:

Ya know....I've heard that a few times before, and I've never been able to figure it out. The first part makes sense. But I started petting the sweaty stuff when I was 17 - and I've never looked back.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

I have had good success buying reconditioned tools from www.toolking.com . There are others too - do a search.