Broken Makita Cordless Drill

My Makita 14.4 volt cordless drill broke last night. Model 6228DWE. Received "free" with the purchase of a Makita SCMS a few years ago. It was brand new and unused for the most part. Got it out for the first time a few months ago to drill some holes and drive screws when installing a screen door. Last night I was driving 1 5/8" drywall screws through some 1x4s into the ceiling joists in the basement. I was on about the 10th screw when the chuck stopped turning if there was any pressure at all on the chuck/bit. As if the clutch was the most sensitive possible. Seemed like the shaft with the chuck on the end just no longer engaged the chuck with any pressure. I know the chuck is screwed onto the shaft so its not like the shaft could stop engaging the chuck. Chuck still spins if you pull the trigger. But if you put your finger against the spinning chuck, the chuck stops, and the motor keeps on spinning. I would guess the shaft itself is broken and friction allows the two pieces to stay engaged if there is no pressure on the chuck/bit. But if there is any resistance on the chuck, the two pieces come apart. Just a guess since I haven't taken the drill apart.

Anyone had any experience contacting Makita on how to get a drill fixed or replaced? Whom to contact and where? What results did you get? The drill is long past its 1 year warranty, if that even ever applied to a free promotional item.

I did have some Makita tool use joy last night. The rotary hammer drill was able to drill holes for Tapcon screws with ease in the concrete basement walls. First time I've used the rotary hammer drill since I bought it a year or so ago.

Reply to
russellseaton1

See:

Nova

Yep, they are down the street about a mile.

Did a good job.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Look for a loosw screw in the chuck.

Reply to
Pat

Make sure the reverse switch isn't in the neutral position.

Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

Make sure the reverse switch isn't in the neutral position.

Smitty

IIRC the neutral position on the switch also locks the switch to prevent accidental battery run down.

Reply to
Leon

If you have an adjustable gearbox (one setting for torque and another for speed), check to make sure that it isn't stuck in the middle. Milwukee drills do this when the switch is halfway between 1 and 2. If not, look at the chuck screw.

Reply to
Allen Roy

Reply to
russellseaton1

Reply to
John

I did mention this drill was free with the purchase of a Makita SCMS. And I received a free angle grinder and diamond blade when I bought a Makita rotary hammer drill a year ago. The free drill, free angle grinder, and the paid for rotary hammer drill were all made in China. No surprise. I think the SCMS is Japan. And my older Makita belt sander is Japan.

All of the Makita tools work well (except for the in between gear problem of this thread) and are comfortable to use. I like Makita tools. But I don't really expect much longevity from any of the non Japan tools. And now days I would not be surprised if 90+% of Makita tools are non Japan. If I was more than an occasssional weekend tool user, I would not consider buying Makita.

e in message

Reply to
russellseaton1