Where can I get good safety glasses?

Don't want to pay big bucks for a prescription when I just need a reading/close work bifocal.

Just did a search and came up with a whole page of them. Clear and a number of tints. Elvex is the brand I've been using. Last year I did a search and came up with one brand, clear only. I think these marketing departements are starting to recognise the baby boomer market, and have expanded the line to include lots of choices with reading/closework sections.

Most choices in the $12 - $15 range.

For anyone who is interested

Frank Boettcher

I wear a baseball cap in the shop and when I'm using the shield, I have to wear the hat with the bill in the back.. the kids think it's "way cool" but I feel like a dork.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Since I am a safety freak, I went down to the industrial safety center located in the industrial district of my town. I got some hard hats with the safety sheild mounted on them. They had tough polycarbonate repalcement shields as well. I got a bunch of them and replace the himet mounted one when they become scratched or clouded.

The ear protectors fit easily around the back. Although you can buy ear protectors to fit a hard hat as well. I chose not to.

I can tell you that the investment in these items paid off big time. I was doing some grinding on a welding project. And any time I do this, the hard hat with face shield goes on automatically. Through some freak event that I could never figure out, the angle grinder essentially self destructed.

All kinds of debris flew out all over the place. Some of it hit the leather apron I was wearing. But two big chunks suddenly appeared in my face and almost knocked me over. I was stunned. The grinder fell to the floor. I think the peice that I was cutting off must of got tangled in the grinder somehow.

I am a big believer in face shields. I was before this incident. I am now a religious zealot when it comes to face shields.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Better to feel -- or even look -- like a dork, than to earn a new nickname of "One-Eyed Mac".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug, has that Hazmat suit...er...face shield ever saved you from getting smacked in the face (not by a woman; I mean by a tool or board)?

Dave

Reply to
David

Yes. Repeatedly. At the lathe. At the table saw. At the band saw. When using chisels. And on and on.

The best part of wearing a face shield, as opposed to goggles, is that it's so quick and easy to put on that there really is no excuse for not wearing it, and thus I wear it for all kinds of tasks. Not that long ago, on a remodeling project, I was using a prybar to pull a nail; it came out suddenly, and in an unexpected direction -- whap! off the face shield, directly in front of my right eye.

Reply to
Doug Miller

ok. How about fogging up. is it LESS prone to that than safety glasses?

all my kickbacks have gotten me in the gut, but I wouldn't discount the eventuality of getting whacked in the kisser.

Dave

Reply to
David

Thanks!

I tried that in the past and it didn't work out.

Either the size of my head, the shape, or both, prevented the headband from sitting properly. I could get the band big enough to go over, but the shield wouldn't flip up properly and moved around if I looked in certain directions. With the radio muffs, the antenna, and possibly the knobs, interfered with the shield movement

Glad to hear it works for you, and thanks again for the photo!

Barry.

Reply to
Ba r r y

Oh, absolutely. The face shield *never* fogs up indoors, only outdoors in cold weather.

I'm not talking about kickbacks, just flying small fragments.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Or a catcher.

Reply to