Where can I get good safety glasses?

Page 2 of 2

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:40:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I wear a baseball cap in the shop and when I'm using the shield, I have to wear the hat with the bill in the back.. the kids think it's "way cool" but I feel like a dork.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
(Doug Miller)

Since I am a safety freak, I went down to the industrial safety center located in the industrial district of my town. I got some hard hats with the safety sheild mounted on them. They had tough polycarbonate repalcement shields as well. I got a bunch of them and replace the himet mounted one when they become scratched or clouded.
The ear protectors fit easily around the back. Although you can buy ear protectors to fit a hard hat as well. I chose not to.
I can tell you that the investment in these items paid off big time. I was doing some grinding on a welding project. And any time I do this, the hard hat with face shield goes on automatically. Through some freak event that I could never figure out, the angle grinder essentially self destructed.
All kinds of debris flew out all over the place. Some of it hit the leather apron I was wearing. But two big chunks suddenly appeared in my face and almost knocked me over. I was stunned. The grinder fell to the floor. I think the peice that I was cutting off must of got tangled in the grinder somehow.
I am a big believer in face shields. I was before this incident. I am now a religious zealot when it comes to face shields.
snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net wrote:

Better to feel -- or even look -- like a dork, than to earn a new nickname of "One-Eyed Mac".
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug, has that Hazmat suit...er...face shield ever saved you from getting smacked in the face (not by a woman; I mean by a tool or board)?
Dave

Yes. Repeatedly. At the lathe. At the table saw. At the band saw. When using chisels. And on and on.
The best part of wearing a face shield, as opposed to goggles, is that it's so quick and easy to put on that there really is no excuse for not wearing it, and thus I wear it for all kinds of tasks. Not that long ago, on a remodeling project, I was using a prybar to pull a nail; it came out suddenly, and in an unexpected direction -- whap! off the face shield, directly in front of my right eye.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

ok. How about fogging up. is it LESS prone to that than safety glasses?
all my kickbacks have gotten me in the gut, but I wouldn't discount the eventuality of getting whacked in the kisser.
Dave

Oh, absolutely. The face shield *never* fogs up indoors, only outdoors in cold weather.

I'm not talking about kickbacks, just flying small fragments.
--
Regards,

wear
feel
Or a catcher.
On 26 Jan 2006 08:36:17 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu quickly quoth:

The polycarbonate (lexan) glasses have at least twice the distortion of regular glass, plastic, or high-index plastic lenses. They're as bad as the damnable progressive lenses. Forget 'em, they're useless.

Are you looking for prescription safety glasses? I'm very sensitive to distortion (I move my head a lot and distortion drives me nuts.) so I much prefer to use a full face shield or goggles over my prescription eyeglasses. At a distance, any distortion is much lessened.
Prescription safety glasses are available for around $300 vs. the $12 I paid for a good face mask or the $2-5 you'll pay for goggles.
It's your choice. ;)
- Better Living Through Denial ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Try wiley-x glasses. They can be found on the internet and locally at sporting goods stores too. I've been using them for about 8 years. I got my first taste of them while in Naval Special Warfare. We use them for shooting, boats, and in the bush to keep our eyes from being scratched by the brush. I use mine for woodworking too. the pair I have are optically clear and if they do get scratched the lenses can be replaced. The pair I have comes with clear, amber and grey lenses. Recommended by SEALs and SWCCs the world over.
--
Rich Harris :.