Where can I get good safety glasses?

Page 1 of 2

I have three pairs of polycarbonate safety glasses. I hate to put them on because they (very slightly) distort my vision. If I wear them for long I'm at risk of getting a headache, and it's hard to do anything that requires precision while wearing them. But having bought three sets, I have no reason to believe that a fourth set will be better.
Where can I find safety glasses that don't distort?
your Optometry doctor

Dave wrote:

Ditto that.
Good prescription safety glasses were worth the investment to me.
Barry

Third! After having work pay for a pair, I'll gladly go and buy a set if my rx changes enough.
I'd think, if you don't need glasses, you could still to an optometrist and get "prescription" safety glasses with non-rx lenses.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
On 26 Jan 2006 08:36:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu wrote:

My Eye doctor tried to criticize my Crews safety (sun)glasses but he couldn't find a problem on the lens analyser uses. He ended up handing them back saying they were pretty good. I buy them on the internet, by the box. They are cheap enough that I throw them away when they get scratched ... and that will happen. I wear them every day here in Florida and they are hanging around my neck on a croaky when I am not wearing them.

I have a few pairs of Uvex Genesis safety glasses - my wife gets them free from her work, but they're available if you look around or DAGS. I've found them very comfortable and I can't see any distortion at all - they come in various types of tinted lenses and clear. My wife and her co-workers wear them all day long at work and have never had any complaints about comfort or distortion. Andy

Can you get them tinted with a bifocal reading section built in? I saw some in a catalog somewhere but I can't remember where. I have a clear pair with a 250 power reading bifocal that are so old that the label has faded. They are polycarbonate but don't have any distortion. They have the adjustable ear pieces that make they very comfortable. I'm looking for the same thing tinted for outdoor work.

Most hi-index lenses qualify as a safety glass and can be made to most any prescription, coatings, etc. The big difference is the normal eyeglass frames lack side shields and may be smaller lenses. Polycarbonate is even tougher. http://www.alanoptics.per.sg/lenses.htm
If you have the money, they can make what you need.

Don't want to pay big bucks for a prescription when I just need a reading/close work bifocal.
Just did a search and came up with a whole page of them. Clear and a number of tints. Elvex is the brand I've been using. Last year I did a search and came up with one brand, clear only. I think these marketing departements are starting to recognise the baby boomer market, and have expanded the line to include lots of choices with reading/closework sections.
Most choices in the $12 - $15 range.
For anyone who is interested http://safetyglasses.com/store/store.pl?cid #
Frank

Industrial supply place. Take a couple pieces of paper with grids printed on them and view them through the lenses at a distance. Move the glasses side to side and up and down. If the lines move, don't get the glasses.
snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu writes:

I had the same problem with some safety glasses I recently bought at Sam's Club. Slight optical distortion plus they attract dust like crazy. No headaches because I didn't wear them for long.
I'm looking for a recommendation on safety glasses too. All of mine are scratched from laying on concrete and such.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

advance auto both seem decent nice clear vision and not too scratched up considering how much they get beat around
snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu wrote:

Wear a face shield instead. No distortion, more comfortable, and better protection. Never forget that there are other things on your face besides your eyes that are worth protecting -- such as your teeth or your nose.

--
Regards,
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:41:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I won't doubt the protection aspect, but shields interfere with ear muffs, hats (in the cold), and can cause funky distortions with prescription glasses.
I know that foam plugs can replace muffs, but I like the ability to easily flip them on and off. Besides, two of my sets of muffs have radios in them. <G>
Barry
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:16:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ba r r

I wear my muffs over my shield with no problem. When I flip up the shield, the muff band rides back, but it can stay there. The muffs stay put anyway. You must have the wrong radios, bubba. <g>
- Better Living Through Denial ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:23:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@diversify.com wrote:

Wrong head.
Barry

Pfui. Wear the shield over the ear muffs, instead of the other way around, and it's no problem. I do it all the time. I never tried wearing a face shield over a hat (since my shop is indoors), but I imagine it would work just fine. As for "funky distortions with prescription glasses" -- what on earth are you talking about? In eight or nine years of wearing face shields over prescription glasses, I've never noticed any distortion at all.
Sounds to me like you need to find a source for better-quality face shields. :-)
--
Regards,
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:40:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Do you have a picture of that? Seriously, I'd really like to see that. You can blur your face if posting it on the 'net bothers you. I'd simply like to see the way it all goes together.

Excellent.
Or possibly differences in prescriptions, like astigmatism correction, change things in the peripheral vision? The distortions aren't there with contacts, but the dust bothers those. <G> The shields are top of the line UVEX. <http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId13549438&ccitem=>
If the link dosen't work, it's Grainger item# 4PE36
I've also used the cheaper North versions, also sold by Grainger.
I have employees who have also complained of peripheral vision distortions with glasses and face shields, and others where the combo works great (like you).
Barry

Just posted one to abpw. Hopefully it will show up soon.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:58:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Thanks!
I tried that in the past and it didn't work out.
Either the size of my head, the shape, or both, prevented the headband from sitting properly. I could get the band big enough to go over, but the shield wouldn't flip up properly and moved around if I looked in certain directions. With the radio muffs, the antenna, and possibly the knobs, interfered with the shield movement
Glad to hear it works for you, and thanks again for the photo!
Barry.