What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

Sonetimes it is a Zebra......10-11 years ago after a rather hellish (pain filled) 4 months, near death, multiple biopsies, a wrong cancer diagnoses, eventual surgery and subsequent immune suppressants etc....... my Doctor turned to me a said your a "Zebra".......apparently the medical team had been looking for a horse<G>....Rod

What I meant with the horses/zebra analogy was that the simpler method of alignment, ie inverting the miter gauge in the miter slot and then locking the gauge against the front edge of the table saw might do a better job that the dial indicator method which is more elegant. The more parts involved in the solution allows for a greater possibility of error. (An example of Murphy's Law). The reference to Occam's Razor is proof that many of this NGs contributors are pretty smart.
Joe G
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:43:01 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-

Streetwalkers vs striped aminals?
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

For a contractor's saw, loosen the back trunnion and reposition as needed. PALS brackets are handy, but not necessary. Helps to shim the trunnion (or top, in the case of a cabinet saw) level, too, as long as you have it loose, so bevel cuts are less likely to burn at the heel end.

Or use a PALS which allows you to precisely move the trunion bolts via a pair of allen screws rather than repeatedly wacking with a mallet.
Very useful in my experience. I was able to adjust my 20 year old Craftsman table saw to within 1 thousandth that way...
Father Haskell wrote:

If it isn't you've got other problems.

On 2/21/10 10:34 AM, Father Haskell wrote:

If you one doesn't care enough about accuracy to square their blade to their slot, then I doubt they're going to care enough to square their miter gauge with a dial indicator.
--

-MIKE-

Father Haskell wrote:

If the blade isn't exactly parallel to the miter slot the only result would be a wider kerf.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

And tooth marks on the work.
On 2/21/2010 2:58 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

And a kerf that's *curved* according to the amount of skew.
RE: Subject
A 12" x 12" x 3/4" piece of MDF with a 3/8" x 3/4" white oak runner attached at right angles (Or parallel if you prefer) to the edges.
Drop runner into slot, adjust miter gage face to 12 x 12.
Get a beer and admire your work.
Lew .

That's not complicated enough. Come on Lew. Geesh
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:
That's not complicated enough. Come on Lew. Geesh ----------------------------------- Shucks, that was low hanging fruit.
As my dad told me when I was very young.
"Son, you want to find the easiest way to do a job, find the laziest person you know to do it."
"May not be the fastest, nut it WILL be the easiest."
As you can see, that lesson made an impression on me.
You want a challenge?
Simplify the design of the straight pin.
Lew
Steve Turner wrote:

If the blade isn't parallel to the miter slot the anomalies mentioned will occur regardless of the miter gauge accuracy.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Burnt wood and wandering cuts.
Father Haskell wrote:

That's what his TS Aligner Jr is for. :-)
More seriously, if the blade is not aligned dead on with the mitre slot, you have a lot of other potential problems since one is setting up cuts under that assumption. If the two planes are not parallel, then even squaring up at the start of the cut is not going to be very helpful since the remaining part of the cut will move the stock out of plane with the sawblade.

Rob Leatham

This 'old dog' certainly plans to change. Very slick. Thanks for posting that, Brian.
On Feb 21, 12:40pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Cool. Definitely give it a try. I NEVER square using any other method. And I often re-check for square in the middle of a woodworking session. -It makes ya feel good.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Very clear. Very obvious as well. So why hadn't I thought of using a method like that before? Thanks for the tip.

Rob Leatham

This has always worked well for me. http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/MiterGauge#5440906371837086402
Max