What's Penofin?

I didnt make that up. I read it on the penofin website. it was 3 years ago or longer, anyways its what I remember. Maybe I read the information from a gallon can of the product. Point is thats why they named the product.

Leo

Reply to
LJancila

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:52:07 GMT, Larry Jaques Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

i donno bout you LJ,,,but i got at LEAST three new additions to my killfile on this one. . .

*G* T
Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Not saying you made it up, it's still on their web site. :) Thing is, the question is whether Penofin is a true oil finish, or an oil/varnish finish. Lots of oil/varnish finishes are labelled as oils, hence my example, Danish Oil.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Frankel

It absolutely is not a new standard. DAGS to see why top posting is and always will be frowned upon in newsgroups. It's only done by ignorant/lazy people and the only reason we see more and more of it is simply because there are more newbies discovering usenet every day.

Assuming you're not a newbie, you should know better and you should not encourage others to forgo basic rules of netiquette.

Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.

Reply to
jbacke

It's not standard, it's just *lazy*.

I don't care how many people do it, it's still wrong. End of discussion.

Reply to
Silvan

The more is only people using OE with out using OEquotefix. All other newsreaders, by default, post to the bottom. Deal with it.

Reply to
ChairMan

WTMKF

Reply to
jbacke

Au contraire...

Renata

(no stain for email)

Reply to
Renata

discussion.

Well, I certainly learned something from this thread.

1) Bottom-posting does seem to be preferred by most NG users; at least those who have taken time to write an article or web page about it (Google +top +posting).

2) rec.woodworking is the first NG I've seen where people get seriously upset about top-posting. I'm not a newbie to the net (although I'll admit I don't take the time to read or learn what is proper etiquette), and I've yet to see, on any other NG I read, anyone get bent out of shape over top-posting.

Even though I don't see what the big deal is, I have no complaints. If I'm at someone's house, and I know they don't appreciate curse words, I'll watch my tongue to accomodate my hosts. As with many NG's, the "wreck" has a core group of folks who post frequently, are knowledgeable about the subject matter, and set the tone of the discussions. If these "hosts" feel top-posting doesn't belong here, that's good enough for me. (Please don't jump down my throat if I forget sometime, though! I have Outlook Express, and when replying, the insertion cursor goes right to the top of the message).

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Try it on alt.food.barbecue The guys here are very mild by comparison.

Top posting would be OK to make one reply to one message and end of thread. When you have a group of replies, chronoligical order just makes sense.

There is a program called "QuoteFix" that takes care of it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You think this is bad, try alt.os.linux.mandrake... :)

I'm not a post nazi. I don't start these things. When someone else does, I can't resist chipping in my two cents, because dammit, top posting is hideous. Especially when people only add one line and don't even separate that line from the 500 lines of reply text with a carriage return.

So is bottom posting. Scrolling through 500 lines to get to the one line comment is no better.

The biggest problem is that, somewhere along the way, (*cough* 1995) people began to get the idea that reply text was supposed to be immutable. They stopped clipping it, and started including layer after layer after layer of it with every message. I think this is because early versions of M$'s Outhouse didn't allow the reply text to be edited, but I had the good sense never to use that pile of crap, so I can't say for sure. (I was using Agent long before the Outhouse came out, and continued to use it long after.)

The *best* style is the style I use, which I learned by example way back when leg warmers were all the rage and Michael Jackson was black. Some call it the "inline" method. It's neither top nor bottom posting, but rather, it's the *correct* method (dammit!). It reads like a Q&A article in a magazine:

(A:) Not enough.

(A:) I tell her that my old planes are broken, and can't be fixed.

So what? I'm using KNode, and when replying, the insertion cursor goes right to the top of the message. This encourages me to go through the sometimes many-layered reply text as I go, clipping out the extra bits, and leaving just enough of the previous post(s) to give my own comments some context on a parragraph by parragraph basis.

But anyway, I'll shut up now. This has all been said 15 million times before.

Reply to
Silvan

Damn sight better than the bottom posters that force you to scroll past all the stuff you have already read to get to the message. You're walking down the street. Someone comes up to you and asks "do you know how to get to Elmwood Road"? You respond "do you know how to get to Elmwood Road? Yes. it is to blocks over. Their attention quickly turns from trying to find Elmwood Road to trying to determine where the loony bin is you escaped from.

Reply to
CW

That's why I do the best of both. I bottom post but will snip long postings. That way you can read it the way English is meant to be read, top to bottom, but don't have to wade through loads of stuff. I suppose when you read the newspaper you start at the end and work your way up.

todd

Reply to
todd

Thanks, Froz. I had done that very same search, and saw the very same links, but the descriptions weren't definitive enough. (Something like, "100% Brazilian Rosewood Oil" would do it for me.) For instance, even though both blue and red penofins are BRO-based, obviously, there's a difference between the two: That's proof in itself that they're both not just BRO.

Anyway, forget I brought this up. It was a simple little point of curiousity that I thought someone might be able to settle, since wreckers tend to do way more research than might be necessary (me included). If nobody had known it, I thought the thread would die a lonely little death, and I'd dumbly and happily go out to the garage and slather the stuff on my hammock stand.

I may call the manufacturer tomorrow and find out if there's varnish in them thar cans, just to justify the 38 heated replies this simple little question generated. If I call them, I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

Thanks, I like that. Looks like I'll be needing that around here.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

No, but when I watch the second half of a two part television show I skip the scenes from last week. Already seen them. Why would I want to see them again?

Reply to
CW

I just opened and read Silvan's reply, then I opened and read CW's reply, then i opened and read your reply. All in the span of say 30 seconds. I have no desire to reread what I just a few seconds ago read in each of the previous articles, nor scroll past the sentences you choose to include as pertinent to your reply.

OTOH, when I go to read tomorrow morning, say, and continue in an established thread, I may or may not remember all the pertinent details from the poster who's article with which I start. So, I can easily skim the included text, BELOW the new reply. It's there if I need it and not in my way if I don't (which, being non real time, I prolly won't, cause my memory usually lasts longer than 12-24 hours :-)

What bottom posters seem to not understand, is that this is not a real time conversation. Do any of you read an article, wait so long that you've forgotten the gist of the article and need to reread it before reading a reply?

Why force everyone to scroll thru however many lines of text to get to the part in which you're interested in?

Seems somewhere along the line someone decided this has something to do w/Microsoft so we'll all be anti establishement and bottom post. Technology changes and one has to adapt. Clinging to this bottom posting cause it's the way it's always been done is silly.

I really don't understand how you folks traverse unsenet articles that you're so enamored of bottom posting and all the hassle of scrolling past previous replies time and again. Please explain.

Renata

(no stain for email)

Reply to
Renata