What's next to buy?

Page 1 of 3
I alread have a TS,router,scrollsaw, various other hand power tools, but what would be my next purchase in an ameture's woodshop? I was thinking bandsaw or drill press but I am not sure which I would get the most use out of.
Rich
Get a drill press, then the bandsaw. Your scrollsaw will handle most of the light work that a band saw can do, but you WILL find yourself wanting a bandsaw next. Keep an eye out for a deal on either and snap it up if you get the chance.
John

I would prefer to get the bandsaw first and get by in the meantime with my cordless drill, but that is just me. I think eventually you will want both.
Frank
Guess I've never had that trouble. Needs have dictated tool selection.
I can not imagine being without my drill press. And my scroll saw gets used just about every time I am in the shop.
How often do you use the hand drill, and cuss at it's built in inaccuracy?
Does your table saw always make the cuts you need?
And my various stationary sanders earn theiri keep.
just my $.02
-Dan V.
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:15:29 GMT, "searcher1"

"searcher1" wrote in message

Nobody knows but you and the projects you do, now and in the future.
IOW, let the projects you do dictate the tools to buy, when you need them.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04
searcher1 wrote:

in all seriousness, I agree with the other posters that you should buy what you need to do a project. That's worked pretty well for me, so far. I bought an OSS the night I needed it, and boy am I glad I got it! There's no bigger waste of money than spending your money on something to gather dust.
dave
searcher1 wrote:

I can hand cut most woods with a rip saw and curves with a coping saw, but I can't drill truly square holes with a hand drill and sure as hell don't like drilling any form of steel with one. Drill press was the FIRST workshop tool I ever bought. That said only you know what your needs are...
Bernard R

I think that with all the responses I will purchase a drill press. Do you think a 9" press would be fine for the average homeowner/woodworker? Thanks
Rich

Get the 12". It is about $180 or so. You'll find many limitations with the smaller unit, rarely with the 12".
I have the Delta but there are other brands that are good also. Ed
As Ed said, if you have the space and cash get the 12. That said I did re build a yaght galley with hand tools and a hand drill mounted press, I'd have given eye teeth for a proper 9" - very difficult to use forstner bits in a hand drill :-).
Bernard R

Get over to Sears. They have 10% off on all Craftsman tools. At least you get a tool from someone you can trust. I bought a couple this morning. You really need good tools you do a good job.
Ralph Engerman R. E. Quick Transit.

trust Sears? on equipment? If I drank coffee, I'd have it all over me now. You crack me up, R.E!
dave
R. E. Engerman wrote:

R. E. Engerman wrote:

Nice cast!
(I still like my new Craftsman table saw, and I got 30% off. 10% plus an additional 20%. I knew what I was buying. When it falls apart and the accuracy goes all to hell in six months, you people can laugh at me and point fingers, but I'm betting about $400 that's not really going to happen. Time will tell.)
Nope. get a 16 1/2 and then it will double as a poor man's (read: me) mortiser, and even a drum sander, although that can mess up the bearings. (Which is ANOTHER reason I just bought a Ryobi OSS) I like my Delta floor model DP. Some guys think the chuck sucks, but I've had no issues with it, and run out on my unit is under .002.
You'll most likely need to sell the 9 incher at a garage sale when you realize the need for a "real" DP.
The preceding is merely my opinion. Don't substitute my judgment for your own.
dave
searcher1 wrote:

Ok DP---OSS what are these things?
Rich

searcher1 wrote:

DP = Drill Press OSS = Oscillating Spindle Sander
-- Mark
DP OH DUH, boy do I feel dumb! Rich

or:
double play data processing dew point
I'm just messin' which ya!
dave
searcher1 wrote:

searcher1 wrote:

We've all been there. ;-) I once asked in a newsgroup what FAQ stood for. <g>
FAQ = Frequently Asked Question.
-- Mark