Re: Next thing to buy?

I'm shooting for a radial arm saw. Been dropping hints to the girlfriend all > week. >

> Sam > >> Thanks to a generous gift of a table saw by my father, I'm a month ahead >> of schedule on my shop. I'm trying to decide what to look into getting >> next. For power tools, so far I've got a table saw, circular saw, hammer >> drill, and a router. I'm not sure what to look at next. I'm kind of >> leaning towards some dust management, or perhaps a planer/jointer set. >> >>

You trust your Signficant Other with a tool purchase? Do you say like, "Man, that was a great dinner, dear. Boy I could sure use a radial arm saw right about now," or do you make sure there's no doubt, and say stuff like, "Look at this ad for the Blackened Pecker RAS Power-Cutter BXT-310K! And hey, it's on sale!"

If I even told my wife to get me a bit for Christmas she'd probably hesitate to do it. She likes to get the perfect present and I think she's be too worried about getting the wrong thing.

Reply to
Ben Siders

I usually start dropping hints like, "You have a great smile honey... It kinda looks like what I would look like if I came home and found a radial arm saw." And then I follow up with, "Look if you don't buy me a radial arm saw I'm not coming home." Then it usually moves on to, "PLEASE BUY ME A RADIAL ARM SAW." And then when I finally drag that "Maybe" out of her I smack her with the model number and where to get it.

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

Reply to
Ramsey

Don't even think about a planer until you have a dust collector. They toss out a lot of chips in a sort time. I used mine outdoors a few time and then bought a DC.

Hammer drill is not very good for woodworking, but a drill press sure is handy. Depending on your needs. a 12" benchtop is not bad, floor models are better. How about a compressor and brand nailer or nail gun? You can live without them, but they are nice to have. I bought the Porter Cable kit with pancake compressor and brad nailer for $199 at the time. I think they are about $229 now.

Consider a router table for your next project. Random Orbit Sander in used a lot. My Ridgid combination belt and spindle sander is used a lot.

Clamps also. Bessy K are some of the best. I have a couple of 24" and a couple of 31" and use them frequently. I also have two 12" Quick Grips and hardly ever use them.

Other items I tend to use a lot: pencils and a good sharpener, 6" rulers, a

7" combination square, a 24" combination square, Lee Valley 90 degree marker (amazing how handy this is)

As far as sequence of purchases, your projects may dictate that. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good point.

Well, I bought it to build a wall that wound have to be mounted to a foundation, I actually prefer my less powerful cordless Black n' Decker for driving hardware. That Makita hammer drill is a bit too aggressive.

Yeah, I have a drill press on my list of things to get eventually for-sure.

I've thought about these and I'm not sure yet how high of a priority to make them.

I've got a Porter-Cable ROS, actually. I forgot about that one. Have router table plans, too.

I've got a pair of 12" QG's and some 4" C-clamps and that's it for clamps. I was thinking of picking up a few pairs of bar clamps and a bunch of pipe clamps.

I keep a mechanical pencil with .3mm lead in the shop, I've got a 36" metal straightedge, a 12" combination square (Starret!), a carpenter's square, and I've been meaning to pick up some triangles.

Thanks for all your input!

Reply to
Ben Siders

Go for the DC, and don't skimp on this. For your health (what good is shop without your health?) I added a remote control last year to the DC and now wish I had done it years ago. A Dustfoe 66 mask is another good item to use, in addition to the DC.

Reply to
Phisherman

Speaking of dust collection. You say you're in the basement...Is the furnace down there also? If so, you may want to cover the filter slot. Stray sawdust has a habit of infiltrating every nook...a filter can get clogged very quickly. My next item for the shop is a DC. IMHO BigJoe

Remove the "x" from my address if commenting that way.

Reply to
BigJoe

Will need sander(s) also. Depending on the type of work you'll do. At the least you need hand held 1/4 sheet palm and/or an orbital. Both can be had with DC ports that can be attached to a vac or DC unit.

Just before I outfitted a complete new home shop, I lucked into space in a great pro shop but I had identified a pretty cool Rigid horizontal belt and spindle sander that looked like a fair bargin. It has a short edge sander belt, maybe 12" and you can pull that off and insert a spindle in it's place. I think they are only available at Home Depot but maybe elsewhere and I've seen em on eBay a time or two.

Reply to
Bill Wallace

I also had a basement shop. The dust collector was right after the table saw.

NM

Reply to
Montyhp

Lots of great suggestions here, but IMHO, if you don't know what to buy, chances are you don't need it. Make due with what you've got until a project demands a new tool. I still use the furniture I built with a hand saw and a chisel.

Reply to
Michael Stephens

I'll give you the same advice I was given by a member of this group when I posed this question some time ago.

let the deals you get be your guide on what is next. Meaning that you may really want the Jointer next, but my find a used Dust collector for half the proce you thought you would pay, then the DC becomes the best bet. Or you may be looking between DC and a Jointer and a nice drill press lands at your feet.

it worked for me, I bought stuff in a different order than I expected, but got better tools and a lower price than I originally planned.

Reply to
A.I.

Looking back over 40+ years in this hobby I "think" I bought what I needed just AFTER I really needed it...but I knew I had it for the NEXT TIME....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G