What's next to buy?

I alread have a TS,router,scrollsaw, various other hand power tools, but what would be my next purchase in an ameture's woodshop? I was thinking bandsaw or drill press but I am not sure which I would get the most use out of.

Rich

Reply to
searcher1

Get a drill press, then the bandsaw. Your scrollsaw will handle most of the light work that a band saw can do, but you WILL find yourself wanting a bandsaw next. Keep an eye out for a deal on either and snap it up if you get the chance.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

I would prefer to get the bandsaw first and get by in the meantime with my cordless drill, but that is just me. I think eventually you will want both.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Guess I've never had that trouble. Needs have dictated tool selection.

I can not imagine being without my drill press. And my scroll saw gets used just about every time I am in the shop.

How often do you use the hand drill, and cuss at it's built in inaccuracy?

Does your table saw always make the cuts you need?

And my various stationary sanders earn theiri keep.

just my $.02

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Nobody knows but you and the projects you do, now and in the future.

IOW, let the projects you do dictate the tools to buy, when you need them.

Reply to
Swingman

all of the above:

bandsaw drill press

AND:

jointer surface planer HVLP

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

dave

searcher1 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

in all seriousness, I agree with the other posters that you should buy what you need to do a project. That's worked pretty well for me, so far. I bought an OSS the night I needed it, and boy am I glad I got it! There's no bigger waste of money than spending your money on something to gather dust.

dave

searcher1 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I can hand cut most woods with a rip saw and curves with a coping saw, but I can't drill truly square holes with a hand drill and sure as hell don't like drilling any form of steel with one. Drill press was the FIRST workshop tool I ever bought. That said only you know what your needs are...

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

I think that with all the responses I will purchase a drill press. Do you think a 9" press would be fine for the average homeowner/woodworker? Thanks

Reply to
searcher1

Get the 12". It is about $180 or so. You'll find many limitations with the smaller unit, rarely with the 12".

I have the Delta but there are other brands that are good also. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nope. get a 16 1/2 and then it will double as a poor man's (read: me) mortiser, and even a drum sander, although that can mess up the bearings. (Which is ANOTHER reason I just bought a Ryobi OSS) I like my Delta floor model DP. Some guys think the chuck sucks, but I've had no issues with it, and run out on my unit is under .002.

You'll most likely need to sell the 9 incher at a garage sale when you realize the need for a "real" DP.

The preceding is merely my opinion. Don't substitute my judgment for your own.

dave

searcher1 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

As Ed said, if you have the space and cash get the 12. That said I did re build a yaght galley with hand tools and a hand drill mounted press, I'd have given eye teeth for a proper 9" - very difficult to use forstner bits in a hand drill :-).

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

Ok DP---OSS what are these things?

Reply to
searcher1

DP = Drill Press OSS = Oscillating Spindle Sander

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Reply to
searcher1

or:

double play data processing dew point

I'm just messin' which ya!

dave

searcher1 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Get the tool that you actually need. If you have no need right now, wait until you do have a need. Waiting until you have a need insures that you get the correct NEXT tool.

Reply to
Leon

unless he gets Craftsman or HF. [running and ducking for cover]

Just kidding folks! It's a funny. Not meant to impugn your favorite brand. Save the flames for when I'm seriously rotten. This is a J-O-K-E.

What's the appropriate acronym for running/ducking. I used to use it on Compuserve. The mind is the second thing to go...

dave

Le> Get the tool that you actually need. If you have no need right now, wait

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

We've all been there. ;-) I once asked in a newsgroup what FAQ stood for.

FAQ = Frequently Asked Question.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Used to be GDR or GD&R or GDAR- Grinning, Ducking, and Running.

Reply to
Joe Wells