What is it? Set 312

Page 3 of 4

A Thanksgiving conundrum.
http://www.mensanator.com/mensanator/can/thingamajig.htm
Mensanator said:

Isn't it an old tyme grater? Like for cheese and vegetables.
Greg G.

cheese slicer?
swp
p.s. Happy Thanksgiving
A Thanksgiving conundrum.
http://www.mensanator.com/mensanator/can/thingamajig.htm
"Wonder" if it would work to slice bread?

Problem is the side rails. The object being sliced can't be very large.
It's a tomato slicer. I have one and use it - nice even slices, the little saw blades work really well on tough skinned or soft. Rinses off, no rust. Tried it to slice butter, worked well if the temperature was just right - very, very cold.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Problem is the side rails. The object being sliced can't be very large.
--
Good point. It might work on a potato, but it might be awkward getting
started.

I don't visit this thread often, but here I found one of my old true loves:
A tomato slicer!
--
Best regards
Han

Hmmm...never thought there would be a call for that, but I just tried it and it works well. Nice uniform slices. I suppose if I owned a restaurant, it would be handy.
Come to think of it, my dad DID own a snack shop over fifty years ago, maybe that's where they're from.
And this
http://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/35883/products/p895653/tomato-slicer-function-part%3a-6375-inches.html
seems to confirm it.
Thanks.

Hmmm...never thought there would be a call for that, but I just tried it and it works well. Nice uniform slices. I suppose if I owned a restaurant, it would be handy.
Come to think of it, my dad DID own a snack shop over fifty years ago, maybe that's where they're from.
And this
http://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/35883/products/p895653/tomato-slicer-function-part%3a-6375-inches.html
seems to confirm it.
---------------------------------------
I just saw this thread. It is definitely a tomato slicer. I have owned several over the years. It probably started with my grandmother's famous lettuce and tomato sandwiches. The lettuce and tomato were fresh from her extraordinary garden. And the bread was home baked and BIG.
I fell in love with tomatoes way back then and have consumed tons of them since. I used to slice up tomatoes for everybody at the table. And I used a tomato slicer like this one. Ahhh...., brings back memories. I need to get another one.
Maybe I will leave a hint for Santa.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I bet you about puke when you get one at a restaurant.
--

-MIKE-

We munch on those for three months of the year.
I am a big beefsteak tomato kinda guy nyself.
And yes, standard tomatos compare badly with the real thing.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:
-----------------------------------

Here in California are some of the biggest tomato growing operations in the country, thus lots of tomato processing operations.
So what do you find on the shelves of the supermarkets here in SoCal?
Hot House or hydroponic tomatoes.
Look great.
Taste like cardboard.
Same can be said for the strawberries grown here in SoCal.
You get spoiled having your own garden.
Got to find a fresh air market.
Lew
Mensanator wrote:

Looks like a vegetable slicer. Used to cut tomato, onion, and such into even slices faster than a single blade.
--
Steve W.

Yes, defintely a tomato slicer. Found it on the internet once I knew what it was called (not easy, though. Most hits on "tomato slicer" return fancy serrated knives or electric slicers.)
If they are, indeed, from my dad's old snack shop (which he sold before I was sentient), it means I've been pushing them aside while searching through the kitchen drawer for over 50 years and never once used them.
But I will NOT let my sister throw them away!
Thanks again to everyone, hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving.

Mensanator wrote:

Could very well be from that age. Most of the places today that use sliced veggies use an electric slicer because most of the help cannot be trusted with a sharp bladed knife... And because they can slice them paper thin and make one "tomato*" last all day!!!!
tomato* - in the past this was a well grown fruit which would be grown at home and picked from the vine only when truly ripe (unless making green tomato products) It would then be sliced and allow the juice and aroma out. Current "tomato" products sold in stores resemble the original product in color only. In taste they are closer to cardboard with reconstituted tomato juice sprayed on it...
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote:

Seeds for 'Heritage' varieties are still available if you want good flavor.

For example, Johnny's Seeds...
http://tinyurl.com/ycgcno4
Roy Smith wrote:

Have the catalog on the bench in the greenhouse, along with a few others.
--
Steve W.

In article

It looks like a bread slicer, or perhaps an boiled egg slicer, or mushroom slicer. What is the spacing between blades?
Joe Gwinn