What is it? Set 312

LOL!!

I was all set to come back with some seriously hostile sarcasm, your link being all munged, and all. Then I saw the actual object. Brilliant! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Correct, although it was marked fireman's pike.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's a stone worker's tool.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1788, Ketchup bottle for lazy folks? Beginner's kit to build a "ship in a bottle"? ; )
Reply to
Bill

LOL, that's the best guess I've heard so far on this box, yet there are still no correct answers posted for it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I'm so glad... for a minute there I was worried that Daffy Duck was dead!

Reply to
Steve Turner

Rob H. wrote: ...

How do you know--I thought the premise was it was unknown...??? :)

Reply to
dpb

If you need help figuring out what it's for, how do you know there are no correct answers?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Oops. You beat me to the same question.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1786 is the unknown item 1784 is Daffy's coffin, which has to be a better answer than whatever the real one is. Kerry
Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

You are correct, Sir. Mea culpa.

But Daffy's head would only fit 1784 after one of Elmer's shots, with Daffy's bill spinning around his forehead.

So that can't be right.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Which would be correct. A pike pole is used to tear down walls,ceilings, plaster/lathe and whatever else to make sure the fire is out. We also use them to pull tin roofs, take out windows and to push over chimneys. They usually have a hardwood handle (newer ones are fiberglass) and range from 3 feet long to 12 feet (some specific use ones are longer)

That one looks like the handle has broken off (not a surprise, they get reefed on pretty bad in use).

Reply to
Steve W.

1783) This looks like a rock-cutting chisel designed to powder a fairly wide gap of stone. 1784) No real clue -- though somehow I feel that it connects to footwear. 1785) A "fly press". The weights are given a smart spin, and a thread advances the top ram into contact with the bottom anvil.

Perhaps for making coins?

1786) Perhaps for moving and sterilizing medical tools/instruments? 1787) Missing most of the wood handle. I suspect that it is for manipulating lumber in the form of logs -- perhaps a "Peavy" for breaking up a log jam when they are being sent by water. 1788) If the lids were spring-loaded instead of screw I would think an early Nielson bottle -- for taking samples of water at various depths.

Now to try to post this -- though last post was refused, apparently due to problems at the news server.

And I'll go on to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

A Thanksgiving conundrum.

Mensanator

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving

Reply to
swp

A Thanksgiving conundrum.

"Wonder" if it would work to slice bread?

Reply to
Bill

Mensanator wrote in news:fdf82666-15dc-48df-b47f- snipped-for-privacy@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

A tomato slicer!

Reply to
Han

It's a tomato slicer. I have one and use it - nice even slices, the little saw blades work really well on tough skinned or soft. Rinses off, no rust. Tried it to slice butter, worked well if the temperature was just right - very, very cold.

Reply to
DanG

even slices faster than a single blade.

Reply to