What is it? Set 275

A new set of tools has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

1561 - battery lifter 1562 - fence stretcher 1566 - drum wrench

1565- ye olde rosette cutter, perhaps.
Dave

1565- ye olde rosette cutter, perhaps.
Dave
1562. A fence stretcher for pulling woven fence (chain link) tight.
1564 . Looks like a sheet metal roller for making curved sections
1565. Possibly made to cut "broom handle" type threads in wood, but it doesn't look strong enough.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Rob H. wrote:

1561 - Looks like an OLD battery tool used to lift individual cells (like telephone bank cells)
1562 - Chain link fence tensioner. Used to tension it prior to clipping the section to the uprights.
1563 - Looks like an old rug beater.
1564 - Shovel former?
1565 - old square drive pin spanner, probably used for valve lapping.
1566 - Bung wrench
--
Steve W.

looks like a battery cell lifter and it might have been for the old Delco 32V home system batteries but seem to remember that they had bolt-on straps for cell connectors instead of round posts. I don't recall any batteries using all round cell posts. I would say it is almost definitely to lift or pull two cylindrical objects. The fact that 1565 has both a flat blade and pins with various spacings makes me think it is definitely for poppet valve lapping.
Don Young

These three are correct, but no correct guesses yet on 1563, including the ones on Neatorama.
Rob

    O.K. This arrived before my cataract surgery, so I can have a shot at it. Last round I accidentally sent an e-mail reply, and I read usenet news on a system which is prohibited from sending e-mail, so it was quite stale by the time I saw the bounce message. :-(
1561)    Looks like an interchangeable carrying handle to be quickly     bolted onto something, used, then unbolted and folded to place     it in your pocket or toolbox.
    It could slide over pins and have cross-pins installed to lock     it in place, or any of a number of other temporary attachment     methods.
1562)    Looks like a sort of towbar -- whatever is being towed is     attached to the hooks, and a rope or whatever is fed through the     circle. Hmm ... perhaps part of the rigging for a horse towing     a carriage of some sort?
1563)    Forge welded, but no real clue as to its use.
1564)    For rolling sheet metal into something resembling an automobile     or motorcycle fender.
1565)    A driver which fits into an old style drill brace. At a guess     it is to turn threaded access covers to remove or replace them.
    Some would have a simple slot like a screwdriver slot but wider,     others would have two holes at one of several spacings.
    So -- you rotate the flat piece to bring the appropriate section     to the front, and replace the pin which keeps it from turning in     the assembly.
1566)    Wrench for a water (or perhaps natural gas) valve, normally     hung within reach by a short chain through the hole in the     handle.
    A pity that previous one got shuffled off to hiding instead of being posted. I think that I did better on that than on this.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

    It did, thanks.
    Yesterday, the eye was done, but it was behind a protective patch -- on the side of my chair that the computer monitor was on, so I had to twist my head to try to see the screen through my wife's glasses.
    Since I had to go to the eye doctor's today about noon to get the patch off (and check on how things went) I decided to put off trying this newsgroup (my largest one, and the one most likely to involve a lot of typing on my part) until today, once the patch was off.
    The eyesight comes out as 20/15 (distance only), and various glasses for closer, like 1.25 diopters for the computer screen, and 2.5 diopters for reading -- until I get the second eye done (about a month later) and can then get a fresh prescription for proper bifocal safety glasses.
    Thanks for worrying and asking,         DoN.

...and much head-scratching ensues....
1561 - This would appear to be a handle that gets attached to something by putting bolts or similar through the rings. The design allows the handle some degree of lateral play, possibly to permit it to fold flat against the item being handled. Possibly it was intended for use on a fitted trunk or case for some instrumentation or similar.
1562 - Weight to hold a vertical banner taut
1563 - Perhaps this was intended to help control a hog or other beast by encircling his/her snout. Perhaps it's to hold a crucible or other vessel over a fire, although I'd think one's arms would get mighty tired mighty quickly if that were the use.
1564 - An American roller press, for forming...ummm...bulges in stovepipes/smokestacks? Or maybe shaping shoe leather into shoe shaped bits?
1565 - The socket at the top of the picture suggests this bit was rotated with a brace or possibly drill press, so the various bits on the rotatable blade would cut various ring-shaped grooves or a hole with sloping sides. The construction looks appropriate for use on wood, but not so much on metal. Maybe the cut bits would be used to mount dials or gauges or other such items in/on the wood.
1566 - Spanner for...umm...possibly municipal gas or water valves?
Now to read other guesses....
--
Andrew Erickson

Yes, it's for working with leather, but I don't know it's exact use.
Rob
1566. Mower wrench. You have a link on the answer page to a "Pittman arm" that isn't at all like an old mower pittman. Mower pittmans were typically wood with metal ends, 2-3 ft or so long. Here is a link to a pix of one style.
http://www.antiquetractors.com/contents/adpic7210.htm

Thanks, I just changed the link, the seller had told me what this tool was for but since I didn't know there were different styles of pittmans, I just posted a random one that I had found on the web.
Rob

Now I know what you're talking about! The pitman arm I remember on a horse-drawn mower didn't need a tool, it had a built in lever to spread the connector so you could remove the cutter bar.
Norm

    Given the shape, I would think that it might be for forming seat panels for framed chairs.
    Enjoy,         DoN.