What is it? Set 232

A new set has been posted:

R.H.
1301 Lantern

1302 Belaying pins

1304 Crystal radio sets. (Primitive televisions without pictures)

1305 Diffraction grating

1306 Upholstering tool

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

and again some silly guesses from germany...

1302 "Beschlagsnägel" (oops, word is missing) used on large sailing ships

1304 adjustable transformer or inductor, used for laboratory or school

the others no idea

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü
1303 Tool to remove roofing.

1306 Cement grooving tool?

Reply to
BillM

1301- explosion proof oil lamp

1302- holds a rope wrapped around it when you insert it into a hole

1303- strips shingled roofs and pulls the nails at the same time

1304- crystal radios

1305

1306- decorative groover for?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

1303 Dodge Caravan, circa 1995 /mark
Reply to
Mark F

"R.H." wrote in news:482bf4a1$0$5707 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Again, I actually know some of these this week.

1301. Safety lantern for use in flamable/explosive atmospheres. AKA a "Davy" lamp
Belaying pins. Used to tie off or "belay" ropes on a sailing vessel. 1303. Manual weed eater used to cut weeds off that are growing in a parking lot. Looks like it has to be used horizontally rather than vertically. 1304. Tuning coil and "cat's whisker" signal detection/tuning portion of old "crystal" AM radio set. Making one of these work could sometimes be a black art in low signal "fringe" areas. 1305. Looks like it might be a monochromater from a spectrometer (a device that splits incoming light into its component wavelengths) 1306. Used for rolling expansion joints in concrete. .
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

HI, As several others have noted, #1305 is a diffraction grating. It is mounted in a precision rotating mount. Note the two screws on the back to set the vertical and horizontal tilt. The "ball" is probably the mechanical contact with the "sine bar" ( not shown) which causes the grating to rotate in a very controlled fashion. This drives rotation mount such the sine of its angle of rotation changes linearly with the angle of the input which is often a from a stepper motor.

Diffraction gratings are often on removable mounts so different gratings can be swapped in and out of the spectrometer. On the bottom is a kinematic mount for so that the assembly can be replaced back to its exact previous position.

Thanks Roger Haar

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
Roger Haar

Roger Haar wrote in news:g0hp7p$ieb$1 @onion.ccit.arizona.edu:

To get technical for a moment, I don't think this is a diffraction grating. I rather suspect it is a prism. This was probably used in a UV-Visible spectrophotometer.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

1301. Kerosene fueled brooder heater 1302. Belaying pins 1303. shingle removing tool for clearing off roofs before re-shingling, also very good on icy sidewalks. 1304. Wire wound rheostats, for toy trains or slot cars. 1305. Likely used on an optical table for light or laser work. 1306. For rolling new spline into a screen door when replacing screens.
Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

1301) Some kind of fuel powered lamp, with the structure at the top a way to vent the hot gases. 1302) Belaying pins. Were placed through holes in the rail of large sailing ships were needed to allow lines to be looped over the top and the bottom in a figure eight pattern. They could be moved from an area where a line had just been released to where another needed to be secured.

And -- in certain situations, they could be used to "calm" an upset crewman. :-)

1303) This looks designed for breaking up ice buildup caused by spinning tires so you can get unstuck in the winter. 1304) An early "crystal" radio, with the usual crystal (gelanna (sp?) held in poured lead, with a "catwhisker" positioned by the knob pointing to the upper right. Except that in this example, the crystal has been replaced by a much more modern germanium diode connected between the two thumbnuts.

Tuning was accomplished by the sliders moving contacts above the coil.

The more modern version still had a real crystal under the catwhisker. Headphones connected to the two binding posts to the left, and the antenna to the one to the right.

1305) Now this is an interesting one -- and I suspect that the glass is a diffraction grating used to break the visible light up into a spectrum just as a prism does.

The fine adjustments allow you to place the desired color over a sensor or whatever experiment happens to use it at the time.

I don't see the red glass ball -- but I suspect that it was intended as an indicator that the incoming light was hitting the right area on the diffraction grating.

1306) Designed to either roll something like window screen into a groove on a frame in the construction of window screen assemblies.

Or -- it could be to cut something (fabric, screen, whatever) on a hard surface.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1302. Belaying pins. I know of these because I have seen them on the big rigger sailing ships. But long before I knew of their use for rope, I had read of another use for them by almost all sailors of that era. They were also used as weapons. Indeed many pirates kept a couple of them on their person when fighting. If the single shot pistols were fired and there was a problem with a lost sword or a confined area, out came the belaying pins.

I would think a good whack or two from these belaying pins would take the fight out of almost anybody.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

1301: Carbide Lamp (?) 1302: Look to be some sort of latch pins 1303: Ice breaker/scraper (?) 1304: Old crystal radio. The posts are for earphones, the coil is for tuning 1305: No idea, not even a guess. Some kind of optical stage 1306: Cutting wheel for leather or some other tough material (?)
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think these might actually be the pins used in link and pin couplers in the early days of railroading. I thought belaying pins were generally made of wood?

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

J. Clarke

'd argue that the shapes favor belaying pins, and the wikipedia cite (and others) say wood or metal.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

The owner sent a few more photos to me that have been posted on the site, including a side view and a shot of the red glass ball:

is his description of where he got it:

"I purchased a "miscellaneous lot" of items in a plastic dairy crate at an auction, kind of a grab bag assortment. In it were various hand tools, some aircraft parts, (two old dashboard compasses), and this item, which was inside one of those little felt bags that Crown Royal whiskey comes in."

I've been doing some research based on the guesses listed in this thread but haven't had any luck so far.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Reply to
Sam Soltan

Man, they're proud of those things, aren't they? Makes Bessey's look pretty cheap.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

1301 Davey lamp

1304 Crystal radio receiver (crystal set)

Reply to
Steve R.