What is it? (Amateur version POST01)

Hi, I have about 20 tools and will be posting pictures of them. Let me make it clear that I'm no Rob. I do not know what many of these tools are or exactly how they are used, so I will rarely provide answers at the end of the week. I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provide via dropbox.

POST01_TOOL01 The portion of the tool on the left is iron. The part on the right is wood. This tool was found in a rural area and may have been made to order.

POST01_TOOL02 The tool is made of metal. The handle is approximately 2 1/2 Feet long. The part with a rectangular cross-section at the end of the handle has a metal insert inside of the metal outer shell. If you had this tool to experiment with, you would quickly determine its function. It was used in my neighbor's backyard.

POST01_TOOL03 The tool is made of wood, metal and rubber (the ribbed black part on the left of the PIC01). The parts do not move relative to each other. The metal posts are very sharp.

POST01_TOOL04 This tool/part is primarily made of wood. A string is attached to two smooth tapered metal posts on either end. The twelve holes are a little over 1/2 inch deep.

Larry Flynn

Reply to
leflynn

Is # 2 a magnet ? - for cleamimg up after roofing job .. John T

hubops

left of the PIC01). The parts do not move relative to each other. The metal posts are very sharp.

This is an Osborne goose neck fabric stretcher, more often used to pull jut e webbing, tight. The spites poke holes into whatever the material is, so it is not too often used to stretch the upholstery fabric, but in some case s, upholstery fabric is pulled tight with this tool. There are other fabri c stretchers more often used for pulling the upholstery fabric, without dam aging the fabric.

Google images:

The jute webbing is under and supporting seat springs or behind, supporting , the backrest springs. Jute webbing is used in other supporting places, a s well, not necessarily for spring's support, only.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yes.

leflynn

e left of the PIC01). The parts do not move relative to each other. The met al posts are very sharp.

ute webbing, tight. The spites poke holes into whatever the material is, s o it is not too often used to stretch the upholstery fabric, but in some ca ses, upholstery fabric is pulled tight with this tool. There are other fab ric stretchers more often used for pulling the upholstery fabric, without d amaging the fabric.

ng, the backrest springs. Jute webbing is used in other supporting places, as well, not necessarily for spring's support, only.

Thanks.

Reply to
leflynn

POST01_TOOL01 The portion of the tool on the left is iron. The part on the right is wood. This tool was found in a rural area and may have been made to order.

BUTTERIS FARRIER TOOL A hoof parer used for cutting, trimming, shaving a horse's hooves. The wood en pad was used positioned against the farrier's shoulder. He would apply p ressure by moving his shoulder forward. If you want your own, there are thr ee others for sale on eBay; search Butteris.

POST01_TOOL02 The tool is made of metal. The handle is approximately 2 1/2 Feet long. The part with a rectangular cross-section at the end of the handle has a metal insert inside of the metal outer shell. If you had this tool to experiment with, you would quickly determine its function. It was used in my neighbor 's backyard.

MAGNETIC NAIL BROOM/SWEEPER. The long part at the end (bottom in use) of the handle contains a magnet. T he tool is used to clean up nails from the ground in the area around where a new roof was installed. It swung close to the ground sweeping over the la wn.

POST01_TOOL03 The tool is made of wood, metal and hard rubber (the ribbed black part on t he left of the PIC01). The parts do not move relative to each other. The me tal prongs are very sharp.

GOOSE NECK WEBBING STRETCHER. As I learned from a post (thanks Sonny and others), it is used by upholster ers to tension the jute or rubber webbing that goes under or in place of th e springs on a chair seat.

POST01_TOOL04 This tool/part is primarily made of wood. A string is attached to two smoot h tapered metal posts on either end. The holes are a little over 1/2 inch d eep.

NO ANSWER. The person I bought it from said it was used with fabric or weaving in some way. I suspect it is a component of a loom or spinning wheel.

Larry Flynn

Reply to
leflynn

Might be a tool for darning socks or the like.... darning, maybe crocheting, etc ?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

mooth tapered metal posts on either end. The holes are a little over 1/2 in ch deep.

some way. I suspect it is a component of a loom or spinning wheel.

Thanks for the suggestion. The two metal posts on either side would suggest that it spins or could spin when in use. I also have to admit that I do no t know if the string is an original component or added on for some other re ason. I may put some dowels in the holes to see how they would radiate out. Larry

Reply to
leflynn

A line or cable winder

Reply to
Electric Comet

Thanks, This put me onto looking for a yarn winder and

leads me to believe it is the Axle/Hub for a Yarn Winder. Larry

Reply to
leflynn