What finish?

I am refurbishing a high chair. What I need is recommendations for a finish. I need something safe if the baby is teething and bits on the wood. I don't want to use paint of any kind. What do you suggest?
Paul T.
--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
Most any varnish is safe after it has cured.

Shellac. Tom

A high chair needs to have a finish that can stand up to repeated washings and disinfectants. Waterlox is tough as nails, thin enough to wipe on, and like Leon said, safe after drying.
DonkeyHody "Never kick a pulling mule."
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:21:27 -0800, DonkeyHody

I third the Waterlox.

Tung or shellac. Both are used for food packaging.
Yes, it has been proven that "nearly" all film finishes are non-toxic when fully cured. However, if you want to be very safe you can use this product from General Finishes http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidu2 . The manufacturer makes a specific claim of food safety and non toxicity. It is an easy wipe on type finish and very durable. I used it on some Sushi boards (Gita), the little wood platters with the cool sliding dovetail legs and it has held up well in a commercial environment where they get washed all the time. It seems about as tough as poly. I had some drips and had a bitch sanding them out.

Thanks to all for the finishing suggestions.
Paul T.

--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:44:55 +0000, PHT wrote:

Shellac is approved for use on food (i.e. M&Ms). While it may not be as tough as some other finishes, it's easily repaired by just wiping on another coat.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:42:49 -0800, Larry Blanchard

Actually, you can just wipe it with denatured alcohol for minor repairs.