what finish for cedar?

Have a deacon's bench that I've lined with aromatic cedar t&g. The cedar is smooth surfaced but unfinished. What finish, if any, should I apply that will still allow the cedar aroma to be there?. I was thinking a simple coat or two of shellac.

Thanx!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I lined a chest I built recently with aromatic cedar, the tounge and groove closet liner type. I wasent planning on putting a finish on it. I asked the Home Depot paint people to be sure, they also said I shouldnt but a finish on it. I didnt, and was happy with the way it turned out - mostly because it was the closet liner type - ie already sanded, no splinters, etc.

Reply to
canadian_woodworker

Reply to
Vic Baron

Don't finish it, just the raw wood so it does it's job against moths. The oil is sold so it, the poison, can be replenished after drying too much, and going into wool from the wood.

AAvK

If you seal aromatic cedar, it goes from aromatic to colorful shiney. Always leave the aromatic stuff unfinished. After a few years when the smell fades, sand it down with a fine paper, vacuum up the dust, damp wipe the dust and it will smell all over again.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Good sanding, nothing more.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I see the point. Unfinished it shall remain!

Thanx!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron