We wonder why americans are so fat.

Page 3 of 4

The real shame is that where they have actually created intelligently designed bike lanes, it's not too far behind that some dim bulbs get together and manage to convince legislators to pass bylaws restricting cyclists to bike lanes only.
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
*Paved* roads were originally built for bicycles since automobiles didn't need them paved.
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:20:47 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Paved roads were originally built for Romans - at least in my neighbourhood.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hello,
I read a recent study that was stating that the american food industry produced 3800 calories per person per day (including babies and old peoples)... when you know that a normal diet for an active adult is in the 1800~2000 calories a day, and that the food industry is trying it's darnest to get you to eat their product....
no wonder america is fat!
cyrille

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:26:45 GMT, B a r r y

I guess the only thing they can see is the business plan and not the results the customers are looking for. :( Kinda sad. Which gym is that? Might be a place to avoid.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lazarus Long wrote:

Both are local onesie-twosie Connecticut places. I started avoiding large gym chains in 1989.
The place that made an effort is Wow Fitness. The one that didn't is formerly known as Champions. The only upside of Champions is that you can get ice time year-round.
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:26:45 GMT, B a r r y

Can't blame them, from a business standpoint... unless you're a life member, it's not it their interest for you to get in shape on the WAY there... Hell, if I owned the gym, I'd probably open a donut shop out front.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–
mac davis wrote:

Lifting weights on the bike is difficult. <G>
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Knight wrote:

It's funny, but realistically odds are that the building was something else before it was a gym and it's cheaper to keep the escalators than to tear them out out and if they're not running then that gives a sense of disrepair.
OTOH, I like the idea of running them both down--they'd be a workout going in and when you've worn yourself out in the gym then they'd be a relief coming out.
--
--John
βœ–

That may very well be the case. The last guy on is taking a step and not holding on. Looks like he may not be riding. LOL
Add pictures here
βœ–
J. Clarke wrote:

That's a good idea. But right now, the place looks like it offers Segways to its members to enable them to move through their routines more efficiently.
Which gives us the spectacle of obese people on Segways, spinning around like Baron Harkonnen from _Dune_...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Touche.
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:04:09 -0800, Steve Knight

Add pictures here
βœ–
When I was a memeber at the local gym a couple of years back, I could never understand why people parked illegally in the fire lane right outside the building rather than walking 100 yards from the back of the parking lot.
It happens everywhere.
Ian

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:04:09 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight

No kidding. <g> But the guy at the bottom is walking up the escalator, so he's only half bad.
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Add pictures here
βœ–

Of course we can't tell if there are other businesses up on the plateau. And not everyone who goes to a fitness center is there to exercise.
--
Hank Gillette

Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Knight wrote:

Escalators. Outside. Escalators outside? Escalators OUTside? <shakes head in bafflement>
Must be some left coast thing. A climate where it doesn't rain much, and only snows a few times a century.
Anyway, I hate escalators. They're too slow.
On the general topic though, some of you have probably seen that ad where the guy goes up to the lost & found desk with two jiggly pink blobby things. They turn out to be love handles. "Lots of people lose their love handles taking the stairs instead of the escalator."
Well, I'm here to tell you it ain't so. When SWMBO was in the hospital, I visited umpty times a day, and I only took the elevator down on the day they released her. I could almost always walk past the people waiting at the elevator, another 50-100' or so down the hall, then up four flights of stairs, then back 50-100' to the elevator, to be walking past as the baffled people from the ground floor were emerging. "How the hell did you get up here so fast?"
I bought a pedometer, and I was logging 10,000 steps a day easy.
It didn't do jack shit for my love handles, or my weight either one. All it did was further carve my already sculpted legs. Sculpted legs with a big blob of Hank Hill grafted on top. I'm a truck driver. I can leg press 500 pounds (or I could if my damn sorry ass knees were up for the strain) but above the waist I'm a bowl full of jelly.
My love handles are still firmly attached. I have legs that would make any leg wimminz (there are leg men, so there must be leg wimminz, right?) get all gah-gah, but everything north of there looks terrible. It's extremely depressing. (Well, my forearms are sculpted nicely too. Not quite Popeye, but getting in that neighborhood. I don't want to talk about my biceps though.)
βœ–

Sometimes they are over loaded. LOL
I am entertained by the moving sidewalks at the many of the air ports. Trying to keep up with the people riding them will give you a work out.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:12:45 GMT, "Leon"

A lot of airports have one side of the moving sidewalks reserved for people who want to walk with the other side for those who want to ride. I was always a walker, and since I walk fast anyway, I could make pretty good time down one of those things.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:08:25 -0800, Tim Douglass

Here's the tale of a Manhattan marketing wonk who joined an excercise class lead by a SEAL instructor.
Just in case anyone who lives in the NYC area needs help with their New Years resolutions.
http://www.shankman.com/sealpt.html
Enjoy!
Add pictures here
βœ–

I really like the moving sidewalks. I've always been a fast walker, get walking on one of those things and you can flat-out fly down the concourse :-)
Most airports I've been in have a "walk left, stand right" policy that most people are pretty good at following.

βœ–