We wonder why americans are so fat.

: Sorry, just hit a sore spot with me, I live in an area near subdivisions : where people think that a narrow, 2 lane road with very narrow shoulders is : a great place to go riding. This road also has blind curves where one : coming around a corner could potentially hit a bicyclist travelling 25 MPH : on a 40 MPH road in many cases, the bicyclists don't use the shoulder since : the shoulder is barely there. The answer is *not* to penalize the people : using the road for its *really* intended purpose by making the speed limit : slower, it is hoping that somehow these recreational riders would gain a : bit of wisdom and courtesy and realize that a) they are endangering : themselves, and b) through their actions they are inconveniencing others, : taking away time from those people who might also like to get home or get : their business done so that they also can enjoy some recreational : activities.

What vehicle do you drive?

-Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I have always told my son that the pedestrian always has the right of way but to never try to test that fact.

Reply to
Leon

Sometimes they are over loaded. LOL

I am entertained by the moving sidewalks at the many of the air ports. Trying to keep up with the people riding them will give you a work out.

Reply to
Leon

Can you say Photoshop?

Uneven and inaccurate shadows, stairs receiving full sunlight and escalators aren't (despite the bright "sunshine" on left side rail support), uneven blending around escalator base.

Ah, the artful troll.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In the US, all 50 states recognize bicycles as "vehicular traffic" and a percentage of all federal road construction dollars are now supposed to be used for pedestrian and bicycle access.

I'm realistic enough not to "take" the right of way in front of 18 wheeler while wearing an "I have a right to the road" sign, but I wouldn't make that statement to an accident investigator after a car-bike crash. I'm also realistic enough to know that cyclists disobey laws as often as motorists, and that the right of way is granted, not taken.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

What's the speed limit on that curve? Not what's normally driven, the legal limit?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Yeah, but not this time.

I once lived a few miles up the road from this shopping center and we all got a good laugh at the irony of the elevator. It's on Midway Drive in Point Loma, just north of downtown San Diego.

Imagined artifacts notwithstanding, here's another picture with a bit more context:

Ah, the artful troll.

Reply to
Christopher Horner

Reply to
Will

Where I live in Georgia I have to deal with tractors going down the road. They sometimes go slower than the cyclists. I deal with cow crap from cow hauling trailers. There used to be farming where you lived

20-30 years ago pre yuppy scum days.

Is it possible that your driving of your car is taking away from the rights of those who might want to enjoy their recreational acticvities but are intimidated by you driving 50 in a 40 zone? Are the rights of an automobile driver or drivers greater than that of the other taxpayers who may not be in a car? Not all roads are built with automobile fuel tax dollars. Riding where you live stinks. About the only safe time to ride is Sunday mornings but that is quite dangerous with the Baptists hellbent on getting to church to talk about love as they run folks off the road. If you can dodge the Baptists or Presbyterians or Methodists or Lutherans you can have an ok Sunday morning ride. The Seventh Day Adventists are not much of an issue.

Bicyclists are not required to ride on the shoulder. State law. Most Georgia roads don't have shoulders as an option. Have you lobbied your state and local representatives for shoulders on the road without wakeup cuts so that you can fly home without runners and cyclists in your way? Don't forget to lobby for sidewalks which allow kids a safe way to get around as well as old folks out for strolls trying to recover from years of driving cars.

Waiting a minute or a few minutes to get around a tractor or cyclists or old folks driving slow only kills someone if they pass stupidly. you got 1440 minutes in the day. 2 minutes does not have to ruin your day.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Hello,

I read a recent study that was stating that the american food industry produced 3800 calories per person per day (including babies and old peoples)... when you know that a normal diet for an active adult is in the 1800~2000 calories a day, and that the food industry is trying it's darnest to get you to eat their product....

no wonder america is fat!

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de brébisson

Ahhhh... beware of the Religious Right-of-Way!

You cracked me up, Jim..thanks for that.

0?0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

That's a good idea. But right now, the place looks like it offers Segways to its members to enable them to move through their routines more efficiently.

Which gives us the spectacle of obese people on Segways, spinning around like Baron Harkonnen from _Dune_...

Reply to
Brian Siano

I was certain that was photoshopped ... but I was wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Ackshally, time wise it is. To get there takes me about 12 minutes, of which about 7 are spent climbing a hill, three minutes on the flat and 2 minutes downhill. 35 minutes return, mostly climbing (2 big steep hills).

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

A lot of airports have one side of the moving sidewalks reserved for people who want to walk with the other side for those who want to ride. I was always a walker, and since I walk fast anyway, I could make pretty good time down one of those things.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The answer is *not* to penalize the people

god forbid if someone makes a driver a bit late. Hell I can't even cross the street as drivers won't stop turning right. How many times have I had to jump out of the way of some driver who did not yield the right of way when it was time for me to cross? try riding a bike then you will get your recreational activities and relive some stress your getting yourself under.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Here's the tale of a Manhattan marketing wonk who joined an excercise class lead by a SEAL instructor.

Just in case anyone who lives in the NYC area needs help with their New Years resolutions.

Charles Krug

I have no problem with the theory, but in practice, it just doesn't work. If you're *in* the road, you're in the way. It's hard to even *idle* a car at the same speed an average bike is moving. That means you need to get off to the side, but there isn't any place to ride off to the side in the vast vast majority of situations, so you're left either trying to run up the gravel, or run up the narrow strip of pavement on the gravel side of the solid white line. Either way, it's dangerous, and you're still too damn close to the traffic. People generally will move over a little when they can, but they often can't, and they often don't even when they could have. It all adds up to making cycling on public roads look like one of the most suicidal endeavors ever invented. Except in the 0.01% of places that actually have intelligently designed bike lanes and whatnot anyway.

None of that around here, so I either walk or drive. I feel that when I'm walking, I can dodge faster, and more safely. Walking feels comparatively secure, while riding a bike feels like I've got a target painted on my back. Oh well, walking is good too. Easier on the knees too. Pedalling up these hills around here is absolute hell on my knees.

I had a lot of fun on my bike while the highway was being built though. Dirt at first, then pavement mixed with gravel and dirt, then mostly pavement, then eventually full blown pavement with lines and everything. I bought a speedometer so I could see how far I rode and stuff. It was cool getting on my bike at the top of the hill in one town and then pedalling like a bastard for awhile, getting the thing up to about 45 mph, and then coasting the rest of the way up and down a few more hills until I wound up in the next town. Going right down the dotted white line. That was so cool.

Until they opened the highway up.

(Actually, 45 mph was too fast for that Wal-Mart special. It felt like I was going to wreck if I ran over a flea, so I only did that a couple of times.)

Reply to
Silvan

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:34:35 -0800, the inscrutable Christopher Horner spake:

the little NAS Miramar Top Gun station) which looked similar, too.

- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius ---

Comprehensive Website Programming Services

Reply to
Larry Jaques

got to learn to gear right and spin so you don't hurt you knee's.

Reply to
Steve Knight