4 gauge neutral wire doesn't fit in my neutral bus panel?

I just put a subpanel in my garage, have a 60amp breaker in it, and ran

4 guage wire to my basement where the main breaker panel is. In the main panel, I have the 60amp breaker installed with both hot wires in it, and I have the ground wire in the bus panel as well. However, when I went to put the neutral wire in the bus panel as well, it's too big it appears!!

Now what??

Thanks, James

Reply to
sparty

Anonymous

You get a special item that provides a screw clamp for the wire and a flat blade with a hole in it to fit under a screw on your neutral bar. They come in a number of sizes to fit different wires. You may have to go to a dedicated electrical supplier to find them.

If your neutral bar does not have screws that wires fit under the heads, but have a bar with holes in it that wires fit into so a screw can clamp down on it, look for an extra large hole somewhere along the bar, you may have to move smaller wires out of the large hole and fit them into some of the smaller holes to make room.

Reply to
EXT

My neutral bar has all the same size holes on the side and a screw that then goes through a top hole to clamp the wire down. I could try the seperate technique, that sounds like it would work fine, thanks.

EXT wrote:

Reply to
sparty

Go to a supply house and get one of the add on larger lugs for your buss bar and do the job right. The mounting screw for the add on terminal takes the place of one of the terminal screws on the buss bar.

Reply to
Member, Takoma Park Volunteer

Look at this picture of my new panel. If you look closely just immediately left of where the neutral service wire hooks up, there is a lug big enough for a 4ga. Perhaps yours has one of these?

Steve Barker LT

imho:

If you had a Square-D QO I belive the problem would be that you didn't figure the 'large' screws can handle 4awg wire. This can be found on the torque label.

You can try use a "neutral lug" like this:

Depot sells them(or did a year ago). If not check with your friendly local electrical supply shop. ;)

hth,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

I will swing by Home Depot today and see if they have any bigger lugs that I could attach to my neutral bar and then put the neutral wire in that.

Thanks all...

Reply to
sparty

Steve Barker LT posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Hey Steve, how is this panel being supported? Usually put washers under the mountings screws...

Reply to
Tekkie®