We The Undersigned...

Page 1 of 4
...pledge to never respond to another Bay Area Dave Troll for as long as we live.
Keith Bohn

Tom Watson

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:21:51 +0000, skeezics wrote:

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
Doug Winterburn wrote:

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Doug Winterburn" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
skeezics wrote:

As a long time lurker (4 years), I've watched with interest and disgust as BAD spread his shill to garner support/sympathy/attention for himself. There have been others in the past that seemed bad, but BAD puts them to shame. He's the first I've ever put in the bozo bin. Sometimes, even the loonies had something useful to contribute, but not this one. Seems sad that it had to come to this. Put me on the list too...
Weldon Wilson
"spread his shill"?? are you inventing new phrases? Have you been taking the Watson English Home Study Course?
You crack me up! :) You can go back to lurk mode now...
dave
Weldon Wilson wrote:

    I reached the boiling point with BAD long before Tom did. I'm not nearly the patient and well-mannered gent that Tom seems to be. I figure, if someone as thoughtful and articulate as Tom has been driven over the edge by the incessant spew from Mr. D. W. Anderson, things have sunk to a new low.
    Tom has offered help and knowledge to everyone who asked, for years now. He has a lifetime of cabinetmaking experience, and an understanding of classical design that informs his work and advice (advise, Keith). He doesn't respond to every last thread, but he certainly could, and with cogent, useful advice.
    BAD's woodworking knowledge and skills, on the other hand, are about a foot wide and a micron deep. Yet he sticks his unedited, unpunctuated, and usually uninformed remarks into more discussions than any six other contributors here. When combined with his incessant off-topic blather, his presence here is not unlike that of a turd in a punchbowl.
    Count me in.
Scott Cramer
how did you escape my twit file? sigh. guess I forgot to add you back in after my HD crash. Cramer, as charming as ever!
dave
Scott Cramer wrote:

<snip>

Hi Dave,
I haven't read most of the squabbles you've had with Tom, but I remember coming across a statement or two like this from you earlier, and I'm curious about it.
Neither have I read all of Tom's posts, but those I have easily convinced me of an exceptionally literate personality, with a decent grasp not merely of literature but of appropriating the _bon mot_.
I couldn't tell you whether he's a _vir bonus_, but that he's _dicendi peritus_ (from Cato's determination of what makes a great orator/statesman) makes him one of the more gifted writers on this NG--at least so it seems to me.
What makes you think he's not a good writer? Have you saved the instances where he wrote something that made you think otherwise, and can you share them with me? I'm at a loss to see why you have judged his writing thus.
H. (w/ no intention of supporting or subverting this thread, just exploring something else that interests me)
"Hylourgos" wrote in message

The very personification of ""wit", I would say!

Say what? Care to translate that to coonass for me? Actually, I agree with you ... I think. ;>)
Well put.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

vir bonus, dicendi peritus: Latin, originally by Cato, indicating an ideal orator, preserved by Quintilian in the _Institutio Oratorio_, perhaps the most influential rhetorical text from the ancient Classical world. It's a dense phrase, so a bit hard to translate meaningfully. Literally, it would be something like "a good man, experienced in speaking", but every word, except perhaps "vir/man", has nuance that resonates from earlier rhetorical, philosophical and legal traditions.
Hi! Tom IS a good writer. I just had to work his name into the post quickly so I could spread a little cheer his way. He is DEFINITELY a good writer; too bad he uses his talent in a "bad" manner <g>. We just don't get along due to a long history of mutual dislike. Sorry you didn't know the reason for my post. I don't elucidate a lot. I try to keep my posts reasonably short.
dave
Hylourgos wrote:

Weldon Wilson wrote:

Kinda reminds me of a dude named Mike Vandeman that trolls over on some environmental and hiking/biking newsgroups.....
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Or Scott Abraham on rec.skiing.alpine - possibly the first person ever to have a court order barring him from posting to usenet.
JP