wd-40

Page 3 of 3

But then, who would want to live in Yugoslavia?
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Geez, if you're using so much of it that filling up a 5 gallon can becomes a burden then call a distributer and have them deliver you a drum.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Get out the phone book and call gas stations until you find one with a kerosene pump. There may not be many but there should be a few. Try marinas too.
http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Kerosene/Cities.html has a list of distributors--most of them want you to buy 50 gallons or more to get it directly from them, but they should be able to tell you what retailers they supply.
If you're using it for a solvent then paying Home Depot's ludicrous price for a gallon can is not all that unreasonable, but I'd be damned if I'd buy it there to burn.

It's not just HD that's charging these prices. A well known farmer's supply chain is charging $10 gal in 2.5 gal jugs. Kerosene is so pricey, now, it's practically killed off the kerosene appliance industry. I had a 28K BTU kerosene heater, almost brand new. I couldn't even give it away, in CO, in Winter! Who can afford to feed it? I just tossed it.
If you can still find a Chevron/Standard station with a garage, they'll probably have bulk kerosene. Problem is, I haven't seen one in 10 yrs.
nb
"J. Clarke" wrote:

That's an extinct species.
There hasn't been a gas station with a kerosene pump in SoCal for at least the last 20 years.

Other than the occasional cook stove and a lamp now and then, can't think of a single application for kero onboard a boat.
http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Kerosene/Cities.html has a list

The sources shown in that list are by and large commercial fueling stations which are totally unmanned.
Have never seen a kero pump at any of them.

Here in SoCal you have a thing called SCAQMD, South Coast Air Quality Management District, which supports itself by collecting fines it assesses.
They have made sure that cero is gone except for a gallon or so from places like Home Depot.
Good grief, they even went after charcoal lighter fluid a few years ago.
That attempt died, but you get the idea.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lew, I have never seen anybody in my life who was so determined to fail.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Wasn't looking for the stuff in the first place.
Only pointing out things aren't what they used to be here in SoCal.
Lew
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:19:41 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

diesel fuel.
Regards,
"Tom Watson" wrote:

Not quite.
Diesel and #2 fuel oil are basically the same.
Closest thing to kerosene is jet A for aircraft.
Lew
On 7/22/2009 10:19 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Izzat right? According to this discussion thread, there are (or at least were as of 1999) places to buy kerosene in SoCal: http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id 0rZH
I'm guessing at least *some* of these places still sell it.
(Here in NoCal the number of places that sell kerosene has dropped significantly. The cheapest place around here is the Rotten Robbie's over to Hayward, a fur piece from here.)

water????

Well, I use waterstones for sharpening my planes and chisels, and a whetstone grinder, so why not?
Just make sure you dry well afterwards.
If you're worried add some soluble oil like machinists do

Pretty much what I do. My tablesaw lives in the garage of a friend and at the beginning of the summer every year when I go over for the first time, I take WD-40 and some 0000 grit steel wool. Touches it up very nicely.

When I come across a site that requires compulsory registration, I always try http://www.bugmenot.com to see if they have any login/passwords on file for the site.
Came up with this for the NY Times site:
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/nytimes.com
There are a number of good combinations here.
Joe aka10x

May he rust in peace.