Way OT, some interesting video.

Page 2 of 2

Cool! At least when you are finished you will know what's what about the house. We did it a little differently. We moved out and upsized, and built. Our son bought us out. :-). We house hunted for 25 years and like you found the one that filled our needs. Good luck!
Doug Miller (and others) wrote:

they have?

Correct. It was seen as the last defense against tyranny.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 01:38:12 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

The government has no problems taking up arms against its people. Various Policing depts love to out power the civies, and drive bullet proof vehicles and suit up with kevlar. Equal rights?
So have you built a nice crossbow from wood or wood and bamboo yet?
What do you use for your arrows, steel billet or ash?
Have you tried a pistol version yet?
doug_at_milmac_dot snipped-for-privacy@example.com says...

So no action of government can in your mind justify taking up arms against it? Selling women into slavery, making soap out of Jews, eating babies? None of that would justify it, we should just go along voting out tweedledum and voting in tweedledee, whose major point of political contention is whether babies are best served fried or baked, and get on with our lives, those of us who are not women, Jews, or babies and thus still have lives?
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 01:38:12 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government."
-- Thomas Paine

Exactly so. Someone who takes up arms against his government is a traitor until he succeeds in replacing that government. Robert E Lee and his fellow Southerners were called patriots, but because they didn't succeed in replacing the government they ended up treated as traitors.
John
On 2/9/2016 3:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:

been charged, tried, sentenced, and executed or imprisoned for life. That's not what happened.

Au contraire, for many of them it was what happened. Those who were still imprisoned (i.e. not dead) were pardoned by President Johnson in 1868.
Note that specific to Lee, his property was confiscated (without any 4th amendment compensation, either). Just for spite the US Army used the grounds around his house as a graveyard, to ensure he would not try to recover it after the war.
John
doug_at_milmac_dot snipped-for-privacy@example.com says...

This word gets bandied about quite a lot. The Founders had experience of treason, having committed quite a lot of it and gotten away with it. They chose to define it as follows:
"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court."

And there's the real issue. If they win then they aren't traitors anymore.