Very dumb idea, Two riser kits on band saw?

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:33:30 -0800, Larry Jaques

If they can get you out after you get stuck, they must be strong, like the old Russian women. ;-)

Strong like ox, smart like tractor...

My economics instructor, a native, had his own theory behind the declining birthrate in the RSFSR. He reminded us of the true equality for women they had in the Soviet Union. "Women are truck drivers and lumberjacks. What would you think of going to bed with a lumberjack?"
Had to admit he had a point, though even the finest-looking urban types lost a lot of their appeal to this US boy when approached from down wind and to a point close enough to see the hair that wasn't there on US females. My wife use to remind me not to mess with the women when I left for trips, but I told her my firm policy of never dating anything with more hair on its legs than I had kept me true to her...
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:21:45 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita

Ah, the old "Strong like ox, smart like tractor." ploy, eh? Good one.
======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================

not
kits
I really think we're onto something here, Tim. I'll start the patent search, and you get the rest of the group to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
B.

guitar
be
blade
search,
This whole thing reminds me of old pics of Model T jacked up, belt on wheel to power a saw. Found one I'm posting on a.b.p.w.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Now THERE'S an idea........ ;-)

When I was a kid a guy down the street, who was a contractor, built a saw mill behind his barn. He had an automobile engine and transmission mounted in the front half of a car frame, with the steering assembly fixed in place by welding, for power. The engine and frame could be moved around as a unit as it was basically a trailer. His name was Jim... ;-)
John
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

maker
take
Haven't tried it, but I have seen, in a friend's machine shop, a bandsaw that has a riser plus a 3" "spacer". My bet is that it wouldn't take much for a decent machinist to duplicate a 3" spacer with flanges using the riser as a template.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

maker
take
Of course, the safety of the saw would be compromised by the loss of the LH guards, the resaw capability would be marginal at best do to inadequate blade tension, and I don't even want to contemplate how slow the feed rate (and heat buildup) would be.
Other than that, sounds like a foolish idea likely to remodel one's face with 3 TPI....
Tell him to buy a couple six-packs for someone with a larger saw if he has to cut 14" boards. Guess that's why most guitars I've seen are bookmatched pieces.
George wrote:

I haven't seen any that weren't -- assuming acoustic body style that is...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

I think that mainly it's because bookmatch looks better on a guitar. A single piece wouldn't visually balance well at all unless you got really lucky on the grain.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I kinda like one-piece backs... birds-eye maple. Taste is so personal. You know the birds-eye maple I am talking about? The kind that looks like it's a 3-d suspension of unobtainium mixed with pearls?
'Twas an old Gibson, I don't recall the model..a jazz-type, smaller than a CG...looked like it was 12" deep.... just stunning. An impact I hadn't felt since the first time I laid eyes on Claude Lorraine's Embarkation Of The Queen Of Sheba at the National in London.
A 9'6" 97-key makassar Bosendorfer leaves an impression as well.
The most beautiful woodwork, in my humble opinion, is found in musical instruments. Even my simple, US made, Tele is nicely done.
I often think about the likes of Guarneri scraping a new piece for his next violin as the world went on around him. Looking through his shop window at the street, he'd see the painters' daughter boiling linseed on a hot summer day, a bead of sweat on her forehead, her translucent dress clinging to her in the sunlight, and old Guarneri just scraping and scraping.....
Holy cow! Look at the time, will ya?
0?0 ?
Rob
David F. Eisan wrote:

maker
not take

kits on

used
For a couple per year, IMHO, quite dumb.
Googling (actually Altavistaing) for frame saw:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/woodworking/frame_saw.php3
On a related note, is there someone who sells gas-powered horizontal bandsaws suitable for resawing separate from the portable sawmill systems?
--

FF

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Home_built_bandsaw_mill.html
rockhound wrote:

Wow.
There's a guy Red Green should have as a guest on his show.
Just needs a little duct tape.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Maybe something like this? On one, you remove the blade on your own chainsaw and use it for power, the other looks to be self powered. Sam http://www.ripsaw.com /

Instead of raising the top wheel twice, have you considered raising the top wheel once and lowering the bottom wheel once? That'll keep the load on the motor symmetric, and let you use a balanced 220 V circuit without having to run a neutral wire.
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "David F. Eisan"

Save your money on the riser kits - Get a steel framed saw and weld in an extension. You'll probably need to thicken up the column too, as a design that's appropriate at a small height just doesn't cut it when stretched.
You'll also need to work on the tension spring. The extra length of blade is more extensible for a given tension, so you'll need a tension spring with much greater travel. You may need not only a new spring, but also to re-work the spring carrier to allow more travel.
Steel is your friend here (and a MIG welder), not cast iron. It's not a job for most woodworkers, but if you're a metal basher it's not too hard - and plenty of people have done it successfully.
--
Smert' spamionam