unsurprisingly

none of the 24 hour stores here carry sandpaper.

Reply to
Contrarian

"Contrarian" wrote in news:1299394004.489590 @bsd1.nyct.net:

Walmart does carry a little. 1/4 sheets and Mouse sand paper was available at my local store, but YMMV.

K-mart might as well, but I've got no idea if they're usually open 24 hours.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Why would you expect Dunkin Donuts to carry sandpaper? =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

"Contrarian" wrote in news:1299394004.489590 @bsd1.nyct.net:

At least in New Mexico when I was a kid, 7-to-11's used to have a tiny hardware section with cheap Chinese hammers, pliers & screwdrivers. I seem to recall small sandpaper assortments as well. I'd be very surprised if they bother anymore. Much more money to be made by another rack of Twinkies. Although the hammers don't go stale, neither do twinkies....

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Albertson's (groceries,etc) carries it here. It ain't exactly cabinetmaker stuff but................

Max

Reply to
Max

Even more to be made selling cigarettes... about 4.50 a pk, when I was used to paying 2.39 at Speedway. It angered me so much I bought another brand that was on sale. Fortunately, they and the tax collectors can't hold me hostage to their pricing like that anymore--and the coughing stopped too.

Although the hammers don't go stale, neither do twinkies....

Reply to
Bill

----------------------------------- My first job was in a sports/smoke shop.

All brands were $1.86 except Pall Mall which was $1.88 wholesale.

Retail cigarettes were $1.95/carton, $0.22/pack.

There was a real uproar when prices were raised to $2.05/carton.

BTW, this was for USA brands, imports were higher.

Cigarettes were definitely not a money maker.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That makes you 64 years of age.

All brands were $1.86 except Pall Mall which was $1.88 wholesale.

Retail cigarettes were $1.95/carton, $0.22/pack.

There was a real uproar when prices were raised to $2.05/carton.

BTW, this was for USA brands, imports were higher.

Cigarettes were definitely not a money maker.

Lew

Reply to
Josepi

Au contraire - the gov makes a ton without producing anything.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

My local (formerly 24 hour, now open about 19 hours) supermarket Kroger's had sandpaper.

Mike > none of the 24 hour stores here carry sandpaper.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

----------------------------------- When cigarettes hit $10/pack retail, get back to me.

That will be the sign of some real progress.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They are over $10.00 a pack now in New York State.

Nova

I don't know about then, but they are now. A small sandwich shop/grocery I used to frequent made 30% of his income on smokes. He said it was by far the most profitable section of the store. I quit 35 years ago but I think they are still be money makers.

I remember buying them from a machine for a quarter and getting 2 pennies back with the pack. That was before I smoked, but my mother sent me to the store for them. Today, she'd be locked up for that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------------------ That would have been the early 50s, same point in time I worked in the store selling cigarettes.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Metro Chicago area, they're over $9/pack, most places.

There's a 'cheap' outlet advertising 3 packs for $24.95. Plus circa 10% sales tax.

Oddly enough, there's a fair amount of bootlegging -- from both Wisconsin, and Indiania.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Wow, those prices makes ww look like a comparably inexpensive hobby:

2pks/day ~ $600/month... new jointer in January, new lathe by March, and a new SawStop ($3K model) by September, with $1800 left to spend by Christmas. Might as well browse the best catalogs.

Yep, that's some of the kind of "logic" that helped get me to the quit zone (8+ years). I'm in no position to lecture anyone...I'm just sayin'.

Reply to
Bill

Same logic that will make it 20 years in November for me ... when I quit (91) they were $2/pack and it was an annual savings just North of $2k that bought a lot of tools. I still use the logic, but with 1991 dollars.

Maybe I should adjust for inflation with all this Festool stuff running around?

Reply to
Swingman

16 years this month [after a 30 year 'career'].

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Hey, at the price ciggies cost now, if those guys quit, they could all afford Festeringtools by the end of the year. My neighbor just quit (I think, the stench of cigarettes remains) so she could afford a computer and DSL service.

-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques