Unisaw Blade returned ! 51 days later

Sent the OEM Unisaw blade (mfg: Leitz-Germany) off with "free" coupon July

19th to Ontario Canada, Leitz Tooling Systems. After one previous (COD $ 38.00) remail/decline-return to Leitz, it finally made it to my mailbox today.

I guess I'm glad I don't have anymore "free" coupons. R

Reply to
Rudy

I drop my blades off at the sharpening shop a block from work, pick them up the next day, but I gotta pay for it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Opened up the case I mailed the blade in. Its my case alright, has my handwritten return mail sticker on it but, the blade isnt the one I sent. This one has obviously had a rough life. They said my blade I had 4 chipped teeth which they say they replaced. This one has 7 replaced and one is still broken and another chipped. The flatsides of the blade has a pattern of some greasy cooked on substance which conforms to some significantly larger spindle shaft "washer" than the one in my saw. Mine is about 2 1/4" and the greasy wear marks from whatever saw this came from is near 3.5". It also had some other name etched into the metal. Now thats been scratched out with an engraver type tool and my name has now been 'engraved' on there instead.

So my question is: Beyond the chipped (1)and broken (1) teeth that are STILL there, if this has/had been properly sharpened, should it make a difference whether it was "my" original blade or not ? This blade looks "beat".

Also, I test ripped a piece of spruce 2X4 that had been ripped before I sent the blade in. The new "sharpened" blade cut isnt any smoother than the cut from when it hadn.t been sharpened in 3 yrs. I had been waiting to get it done AFTER building the house so I'd have a good blade for doing cabinets, VG fir baseboards and casing...this doesn't seem to be the case now.

Rudy

When I opened the plastic case I mailed, I found that the blade inside wasn't the one I sent. They told me over the phone they had replaced 4 of the carbide points..this blade has had 7 replaced and there is still one chipped and another broken. The surface of the blade on each side shows some cooked on greasy coating which shows that the retention washer that had been holding this blade on was approx 3.25" dia. Mine is about 2.25". There is also some name which has been engraved onto the blade..now scratched out/'engraved 'over' and my name has been engraved onto the blade in another area. This blade has obviously been beat.

So my question: IF it had been properly sharpened (not with the broken (1) and chipped(1) teeth as it was returned), would it make a difference if I got my original blade back or not ?

BTW, I ripped a small piece of spruce 2X4 I had cut with the 'old' blade and found that the cut of the 'sharpened' blade was not appreciably smoother than the old (3 yr w/o sharpening). I sent it in after building a home, hoping to get a nice new blade to use for finer work: cabinets, VG fir baseboards/ window/door casing etc. It seems this isnt going to be the case. I certainly dont want to sent it back a third time..51 days..I'll never see it (or my original) again...BAH !!

Reply to
Rudy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rudy" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 8:32 PM Subject: Re: Unisaw Blade returned ! 51 days later but, ITS NOT MINE

When I opened the plastic case I mailed, I found that the blade inside wasn't the one I sent. They told me over the phone they had replaced 4 of the carbide points..this blade has had 7 replaced and there is still one chipped and another broken. The surface of the blade on each side shows a lot of deep scratches and some cooked on greasy coating which shows that the retention washer that had been holding this blade on was approx 3.5" dia. Mine is about 2.25". There is also some name which has been engraved onto the blade..now scratched out/'engraved 'over' and my name has been engraved onto the blade in another area. This blade has obviously been beat.

So my question: IF it had been properly sharpened (not with the broken (1) and chipped(1) teeth as it was returned), would it make a difference if I got my original blade back or not ?

BTW, I ripped a small piece of spruce 2X4 I had cut with the 'old' blade and found that the cut of the 'sharpened' blade was not appreciably smoother an the old (3 yr w/o sharpening). I sent it in after building a home, hoping to get a nice new blade to use for finer work: cabinets, VG fir baseboards/ window/door casing etc. It seems this isnt going to be the case. I certainly dont want to send it back a third time..51 days..I'll never see it (or my original) again...BAH !!

Reply to
Rudy

But its NOT MINE!

Today, when I opened the plastic case I mailed, I found that the blade inside wasn't the one I sent. They told me over the phone they had replaced 4 of the carbide points..this blade has had 7 replaced and there is still one chipped and another broken. The surface of the blade on each side shows some cooked on greasy coating which shows that the retention washer that had been holding this blade on was approx 3.25" dia. Mine is about 2.25". There is also some name which has been engraved onto the blade..now scratched out/'engraved 'over' and my name has been engraved onto the blade in another area. This blade has obviously been beat.