Undercounter Lighting Recommendations?

Page 2 of 2

Mike in Arkansas wrote:

I presume thins is for a kitchen. One thing to consider that most people seem to forget is color temperature. Your undercabinet lighting decision should follow you general area lighting decision. If you use halogen lighting anywhere in the kitchen, all lighting in the kitchen should be halogen. Same for fluorescent all tubes should be the same color temperature spec. If you don't match the color temperatures even if the amount of light and distribution are good things will never look quite right due to the mismatch.
Pete C.
Good point Pete. In my younger years I had a friend who always said "Never mix, never worry". Of course he was talking about liquor but I see that it applies to lighting also.

A few people have mentioned small 120v pot lights and some of the heat and burnouts associated with them. No one has yet mentioned 12v pot lights which do not experience the same problems near as much, as well as being quite a bit safer. Don't let the idea of 12v pot lights not supplying you near enough light. The better quality ones are very capable in the light department.

I tried the puck type lights but didn't care for the little spots of light on the countertop. They also ran rather hot.
Instead, I chose low profile fluorescent lights. I got mine at Home Depot, in the fluorescent light section, not with the other undercabinet lights. I think mine are made by GE and are their "premium" line. They come in various lengths and are fairly expensive (about $40 for a 2' long light), but they put off a nice even band of light and turn on instantly without any flicker. They're only about 1" thick, so they hide easily behind the face frame of the upper cabinets. They also run cool, so I can set a chocolate bar or something in the upper cabinet without fear of it melting from the light.
The fluorescent lights came with a cable that plugs into the wall, and the other end goes into the light. You can plug it into either end of the light, so it's really flexible. They also come with a connector cable to daisy chain multiple lights together.
I used four of these lights in our kitchen and plugged them into outlets I have connected to a light switch. I can flip one switch and turn all four on.
I also used two of these lights in my home office, but opted to just use the rocker switch on the lights themselves to turn them on/off.
Hope this helps,
Anthony