bathroom lighting - recommendations

Chums

We've moved into a house with a small bathroom which gets very little natural light. Currently its got a bogstandard bathroom light fitting which doesn't give out much light. Its made worse by a dark blue ceiling!

Any recommendations for a bathroom light fitting which would give out a lot of light and which would suit being in an olde fashioned Victoriany type bathroom?

Mark Watson Best SF -

Best SF reviews: classic and current short SF Best SF Gateway: online short SF

Reply to
Mark Watson

Well well, I have the perfect recommendation, how about a true period piece - a genuine Victorian arc light? Mains ones will be far too powerful for a bathroom, bein better suited to something the size of a public square. But a 12v arc is runnable and somewhere in the right region. You'll need one that reflects all light upwards, and you'll need to repaint the ceiling so that it doesnt reflect the UV. Very pale yellow would be about right.

Then youll need an extractor fan to take the CO2 and CO away, and a pull cord to momentarily touch the rods to strike the arc. And a supplier of carbon arc rods.

I've used arc lighting and its, erm, interesting. Very primitive. But with an automatically self adjusting lantern its at least a faint, impractical, possibility.

I would rule out the Nernst lamp because they take too long to come on

- you need to preheat it with a gas burner to get it hot before it will light, which isnt very practical in bathrooms. Or in many places for that matter.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Ho hum/ Gas mantels?

Seriously, easiest is a luminaire of some sort, that looks vaguely retro.

Most bathroms are edwardian or later. Victorians are not noted for baths much. Mayvbe a hot copper in teh kictchen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher