LV Lighting in Bathroom

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV lights in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any advice which route to go?

TIA

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Go for 5 individual electronics - the prices are good and if one fails you'll still have 4 to work by! HTH, Richard.

Reply to
Frisket

Either go for a three / two split or individuals for your transformers. Individuals will help disperse heat around the void in which they are fitted, but if you wish a centrally located position for ease of maintenance then go for a three / two split using two electronic PSU's. I advise a three / two split arrangement In case you have any problems with one circuit and this will still allow you to have some light to get by until it's fixed.

Reply to
BigWallop

This may not be what you want :-)

Homebase do LV lighting suitable for Zone 1 which does not require a seperate transformer. Just wire each downlight in like a normal light. The light is a bit like the glass 'bullseye' you used to get in old windows. Gives a good light anyway :-)

Just mentioned this as it may save you some wiring hassles :-)

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

So, are you saying buy one 0-105w electronic transformer and use a junction box to split the output to two LV lights and likewise use a 0-150w transformer with a similar arrangement supplying the remaining 3 lights? If this is what you suggesting should you use 5A junction boxes or can you use porclean connectors?

The reason I'm asking is I'm not upto speed on best practise for wiring this sort of light.

Thanks for you help.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you use 1 X 150w output and 1 X 100w output transformers you won't need junction boxes. Taking the two mains supply leads from the same switch will also stop the need for any junction boxes.

Reply to
BigWallop

Doesn't 250W of lighting in a bathroom ring any alarm bells? You might want to step back and question how sensible this is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew,

Maybe I should have made my self a little bit clearer the lights can accept upto 50w, I'm not actually sure which bulb I'll put in yet, its possible 20w

36 deg or 35w 38 deg will give suffcient light. But, the orginal question really was about how many transformers to use as I'll size the transformer to suit.

Cheers,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Its about right for a big bathroom using LV spots.

I am using 2, 3 and 4 x 50W in three toilets/ bathrooms, and they are not overlit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher