Speaker cone been poked!

Some little f...f...f...friend of my daughter's has poked the cone of one of my (expensive!) cinema system's speakers and it's stayed dented in.

Any ideas on how to get it back out again? It doesn't look like it's actually damaged, just concave instead of convex.

It's this system...

you can see, there's a thin (too thin, perhaps?) metal bar across the speaker, which doesn't just pull out for easy access.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Suction? I'd imagine sucking from the firing end of a pea shooter, although I guess getting a seal on the cone is the greatest challenge. Softish rubber tube of a similar overall diameter? Dismantling to gain unhindered access to the cone seems worthwhile.

Why do kids love to do this? Most be some kind of magnetic attraction.

Reply to
Toby

"Toby" wrote in news:c4piaa$2l09ob$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-223675.news.uni-berlin.de:

Once saw a brat poke her finger through about a dozen packets of meat in the local supermarket. Each packet about a fiver on average. Bolt cutters, that's what I say :D

Reply to
Sneezy

For the parents maybe. If I'd done that when I was a kid, I would've got a damn good beating - and deserved it too. That's why when I was little you only ever did stuff like that once. Don't get me started...

Reply to
Grunff

with a hoover and put it all back again.

BB

Reply to
Big Bill

Suck it back out (carefully!) with an accessory hose attached to a vacuum cleaner. Yes, I can see the bar is in the way ...

1) remove the speaker from the case for access or 2) remove the bar or 3) live with it.

It's a harsh world ......

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

I'm not a fan of GM foods, but if they can invent a GM child that stays in the womb until it's 14, I shall be very happy!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Place the end of a strip of sellotape on it and VERY gently ease it out. DONT yank the sellotape of when done, ease it off very carefully.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

agnetic attraction.

25 would be better.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi,

May be possible to cut along a kitchen roll or bog roll tube to get around the bar and use the hoover on this.

Also ould be better to open the bleed hole on the vacuum nozzle before switching on the hoover, just in case!

BTW hoovers make a good way of vacuum bagging large thick double duvets down to save space.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I think they used to call it strict Schooling, hard studying at college or University and then onto National Service....

Reply to
Jerry.

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:18:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall strung together this:

I'm sure many would disagree. This could go on till a ripe old age!

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for the suggestions - I will play tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be reporting that the Dyson has eaten the contents of a speaker :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The kid who poked it (identity unknown, unfortunately), was aged between 13 and 15!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I really wouldn't suggest a hoover as you may well end up with a nicely creased convex dent in the cone instead of a concave one. If it isn't easy to strip the speaker and get at the back of the cone then try a piece of masking tape (NOT packing or any other tape) and gently pull the dent out. Masking tape won't leave any residue and you can peel it off sideways without causing damage if it doesn't work. I think you'll find it will.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Are there places online where you can send a sample of DNA, and the speaker cone, to compare? (Idly wondering if anyone knows.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In the days of Empire they would be sent to a Colony to 'make their way' out of the way of parents !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That's easy for *you* to say - I bet *you* had a Scalextric set when you were a kid. *Sniff*

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Yayyy! Masking tape rules!

I had to let it "set" for 5 minutes coz the cones are a lot stiffer than I thought they were, but it worked a treat.

I is now a happy bunny, if a little pathetic.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Apropos of practically nothing at all....have you noticed how very few people can actually pronouce that correctly?

99 out of 100 seem to say 'Scalectrix'...
Reply to
Bob Eager