TS-Aligner Fall Special Offer

Hi Folks,

In appreciation for all the help and encouragement that members of rec.woodworking have given me over the years, I'm happy to bring back the free 45 degree angle block offer!

Last Summer I was anticipating a slow down in business so I prepared a whole bunch of smaller (3") 45 degree angle blocks to use for a special promotion. But, the slow down never happened. So, I've decided to give them away with the purchase of a TS-Aligner Jr., TS-Aligner Jr. Deluxe, or Industrial TS-Aligner (the "Sr."). Sorry, I just can't afford to include one with the purchase of a Jr. Lite.

If you purchased a Jr., Jr. Deluxe, or Sr. during the last 30 days don't kick yourself (or get mad at me)! I've got one for you too. I will be arriving in your mailbox soon.

There's only so many of these free 3" 45 degree angle blocks available. They are made from the same hardened tool steel ground to the same exacting accuracy as my regular (much larger) angle blocks. However, they aren't the same angle blocks and are not for sale. The supply is limited so once they are gone, they are gone. I don't have plans to bring them back at any specific future date. People still ask about the free angle blocks I offered a couple of years ago. If you are interested in getting an Aligner and regret missing the last special then the time to act is NOW!

Yes, if you are a member of the self appointed spam police force, you probably have the right to cry foul. Sorry, I don't know how to offer this special thanks to the members of rec.woodworking without posting a message like this. And, I'll re-post it periodically until the angle blocks are all gone. Then I'll probably post a final message to let people know that the special is ended. I hope you can grit your teeth and resist your flaming instincts long enough to endure it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

Reply to
Ed Bennett

On the contrary. This is the best spam I've read all day.

Reply to
mp

My only question is, why add the above paragraph? It only serves to antagonize would-be flamers and demeans your product. Why not post your offer, answer legitimate questions, and ignore the flames/trolls? I'll bet that would seem more professional to most readers and potential customers. Just M.O.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Ed

You should put the high-end gages on the price list with the TS Junior. A dial indicator is on my wish list. Starrett.

But the full TS-aligner is a lot of money for a single-purpose tool.

Synergy, right?

*looks for some emerald bauble with which to distract SWMBO*
Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Hi Mike,

I guess it never occurred to me that such a paragraph would demean my products. I figured that acknowledging the perceived "crime" ahead of time would take some of the wind out of their sails. That way, people wouldn't have to wade through the flames/trolls while trying to digest my offer. Perhaps I fugured wrong but it seems to have worked so far! I hope nobody feels that my products are somehow sub-standard as a result. I'm not sure that I see the connection.

There are probably a lot of things I could do to make myself seem more professional. For the most part, I've learned that it's better to avoid being pretentious. I used to do all sorts of things to make my company seem like a lot more than it is. But, there's just something cold and unfriendly about companies which put up a formal wall of "professional" behavior. I didn't like the effect it had on people either. They can do some pretty undesirable things when they they are met with cold professionalism. I much prefer the personal touch and I think that people respond a lot better when they can have direct access to a real person who actually invented and made their product. They learn pretty quickly that I'm precise and exacting in everything I do - I don't have to advertise it.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Hi Charles,

I can put a Starrett on the Jr., no problem. It really is a very fine combination. I don't put it up on the web site because most people wouldn't be interested in paying so much for a Jr. Basically, it's a Jr. sans indicator ($121.95) plus the Starrett ($89) for a total of $210.95. Still interested? Let me know.

I'm not sure what you mean by "single-purpose", the "Sr." is a very general purpose alignment tool. Yes, it does cost a lot. But, those people who truely need it understand its value quite well. I generally try to dissuade homeshop customers from buying a Sr. This really is one of those situations where the words "industrial" and "professional" actually mean something. There are specific disadvantages for the non-professional trying to use this product on smaller homeshop machinery without much knowledge or experience. The bigger sale is no advantage to me if I end up having to pacify lots of complaints about how it doesn't work well on their 6" bench jointer and how I should have explained every step of how to adjust the alignment of their particular brand/model miter saw.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

Reply to
Ed Bennett

I have a TS Aligner Jr. The tool does more than set up a table saw fence. I used it to set the 0 and 45 degree stops. When I get a new blade, I check it's runout. I have used it to check the runout of my drill pres. The tool can be used to see if the drill press table is perpendicular to the quill. There are a couple of other things in the instructions that I haven't tried yet. If I could have afforded it when I bought the aligner, I would have gotten a set of the precision angle blocks as well. (I did get a 45 degree block.)

Regards, Grant

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Hey Ed:

I sure would not let it bother you in any way....half the people can not figure out that this is a woodworking forum and not a politic or pet forum. I was very interested in your offer and thank-you for the special. I hope to take advantage of your sale. At least it is about woodworking!!! Just my opinin. thanks,Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

Hi Folks,

As promised, here's another reminder...

In appreciation for all the help and encouragement that members of rec.woodworking have given me over the years, I'm happy to bring back the free 45 degree angle block offer!

Last Summer I was anticipating a slow down in business so I prepared a whole bunch of smaller (3") 45 degree angle blocks to use for a special promotion. But, the slow down never happened. So, I've decided to give them away with the purchase of a TS-Aligner Jr., TS-Aligner Jr. Deluxe, or Industrial TS-Aligner (the "Sr."). Sorry, I just can't afford to include one with the purchase of a Jr. Lite.

If you purchased a Jr., Jr. Deluxe, or Sr. 30 days before I first announced this special, don't kick yourself (or get mad at me)! I've got one for you too. It will be arriving in your mailbox soon.

There's only so many of these free 3" 45 degree angle blocks available. They are made from the same hardened tool steel ground to the same exacting accuracy as my regular (much larger) angle blocks. However, they aren't the same angle blocks and are not for sale. The supply is limited so once they are gone, they are gone. I don't have plans to bring them back at any specific future date. People still ask about the free angle blocks I offered a couple of years ago. If you are interested in getting an Aligner and regret missing the last special then the time to act is NOW!

I'll re-post it periodically until the angle blocks are all gone. Then I'll probably post a final message to let people know that the special is ended. Asbestos underwear is standing by just in case ;-)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Ed:

I pulled my TS Aligner Jr off the shelf the other day, used it to align my contractors saw after it had been disassembled and moved to the new house (was 0.030" out across the length of the blade). Had it all done including the fence in 10 minutes. I hadn;t even warmed up the parts yet. This weekend, it's on to the jointer. FWIW, I consider this to be one of the "core" tools in the shop...nicely done and once again I was glad I grabbed it from you.

Oh...that 45° angle block sits on the saw all time. I don't trust the saw stops for setting the tilt so I use the block. I'm nuts on in seconds... Thanks again Ed!!

And for those who may be wondering, nope, Ed didn't pay me to say this :). In fact, I paid full price for my kit some three years ago now. I just appreciate a good tool that's well engineered, well built, well, priced, well packed, well instructed, does what it says it's going to do and does it well.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I also bought the 45 deg block from Ed, and that alone handles most setup. To save some money, I bought a cheaper full set of precision angle blocks elsewhere. They were cheap enough that I figured it was worth a gamble. Turns out they had a slight burr, removed with 600 grit paper. Then measuring each one with the TS-aligner, everything was in perfect agreement. This was maybe 4 years ago, but I think less than 25 for the full set.

Also then cut a square of melamine a bit larger than the aligner base, and cut

3 stopped holes for the bearings. The melamine is fairly flat, but that doesn't really matter since the aligner is zeroed after mounting. This gives a stable base that doesn't depend on a miter slot, and doesn't need you to remove the aligner bearings to use it. With this I set up the router table fence, the BS and DP. Switching the dial indicator vertically, this becomes the fastest and easiest way I've found to adjust the jointer knives. By just taping down lightly with a wood block back and forth. I can quickly get all the knives perfectly level with each other.

GerryG

Reply to
GerryG

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I was wondering if you received my reply. Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Hi Rob,

Good to hear from you! And, thanks for the words of encouragement. I do my best and never seem to get tired of hearing how people appreciate the effort.

Here's a new review, just published today:

'll get it linked into the web site "Testimonials" page this weekend.

Have fun doing your jointer. I've been contemplating doing some specialized videos focusing on one machine at a time. Seems like a lot of magazines and books contain rather sketchy and often misguided information on the topic, especially with regard to jointers. I'm all ears if you have questions or comments. I do these things by second nature and hardly think about what I should include. Just when I think something is plain and obvious I receive an email from someone who misses it completely. Videos might just be the ticket.

Thanks, Ed.

Reply to
Ed Bennett

That'd be me... Please consider doing a video. Heck - bump the price if you must.

I'm one of those Visual Learners. I can read about it day and night, but really prefer to see someone else do it.

Reply to
patrick conroy

This is a pretty good option for saving lots of money. Some of the cheaper import angle sets are pretty good (some are dogs!). There might be some minor defect (like the burr that Gerry encountered) but it's pretty eaily corrected. Just like Gerry, you can use your Jr. to check the accuracy of each block and you won't be out too much money if you end up with some dogs.

I try to offer some value in my angle blocks that you can't get with any other set. The first advantage is that they are larger. You're not going to find another set offering 4" angle blocks in this price range. Starrett's Toolroom grade set has 4" blocks (5/8" thick!) but it will set you back more than $3K! All the low cost sets are 3" (or smaller). If you only use them with a Jr. for blade tilt, then this won't be an issue. Also, the accuracy of my angle blocks is guaranteed. I check them against a set of the finest laboratory grade angle gage blocks around: Starrett Laboratory Master AG 16.LM. If a block isn't accurate, it doesn't leave the shop. There's never any guessing!

It doesn't take much to remove and re-install the bearings. But, the melamine base is a good idea that can save you a couple of minutes for those machines without miter slots. Easy to make, cheap, and easy to use. You'll want to make sure it's flat enough to avoid any rocking. Good idea Gerry!

Ed

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Hi Patrick,

The plan is to offer the videos for sale separately. One video for each machine. I don't want to burden the cost of an Aligner with videos that some people may not need. Perhaps they are already familiar with how to align a particular machine, or maybe they don't even own one. It's a pretty expensive proposition so the $0.01 + SH deal that I offer for the regular video won't be possible for these.

Ed.

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Perfect! Thanks Ed...

Don't forget to add the entertaining "out-takes" at the end. Everyone's doing that now. Maybe stuff like: an out-of-balance Bridgeport walking across the shop floor; or you KO'ing the PuzzleCraft dude... :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

Based on the testimonies of several wreckers, your products seem to be very high quality. My post was more marketing opinion than engineering skeptism. In a discussion on another board, somebody was trying to provoke a flamewar with Robin Lee regarding Veritas products. Although he may have felt the urge to confront the troll, Rob responded quite professionally. Of course, what constitutes professional behavior is a matter of opinion but I'll bet everyone who read those posts feels Rob's responses were appropriate. My point to you was that, in _my_ opinion, trollers and flamers are best left to die from lack of attention rather than being confronted with anger, especially when the object of the troll/flames is promoting a product. That's just my opinion. When I get my shop a bit more equipped, I will most likely consider your product line. I need all the help I can get. :-)

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

[...]

I'll re-post this message periodically until the angle blocks are all gone. Then I'll probably post a final message to let people know that the special is ended. Asbestos underwear is standing by just in case ;-)