Special Offer - Nailer

Just in case anyone is interested Screwfix have an electric nail gun on special offer at £9.99 presently, comes with 6000 brads to get you started, see their front page. I ordered one yesterday, arrived today and immediately put it to use. Very useful little tool.

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

I'll ave sum ov that!

Reply to
Baxter Basics

39.99. It's a fantastic beast of a machine. well worth a tenner!
Reply to
Scott Mills

I bought one a couple of years back at the £30 offer price and have used it fairly regularly over that time.

The only real problem with it is repeatability - trying to set the brad at the same depth each time. If anyone does take the plunge and buys one (and for that price it is definitely worth it) I would recommend having quite a few practise nailings into similar material first.

If you need more brads they are currently on offer at Axminster in the summer sale. Let me know if you don't have the catalogue and I will post the numbers.

Sean

PS. I recently replaced my electric nailer with the Ferm air nailer kit and have never looked back. Its not as easy to carry round though!

Reply to
Sean Delere

Just ordered one as well.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

ordered it yesterday 5pm, came today 11.30am...

tried it out on a few materials (mdf, pine, laminate floor, corrugated pvc sheet) with good results

£10 well spent

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

How do you folks justify such a tool? Even at that price?

I do a lot of DIY, rebuild of derelict house etc, yet I can't think of any occasion where I would have wanted to use a nailer for any better result than a decent claw hammer and the right nail for the job. Well, I did do a lot of closeboarded fencing some years back, but it rained most of the time so the manual method was perhaps marginally safer. Oh, and I have no desire to build a (Ground Force Prescription) deck (and if so I would probably use brass screws). I did put a new roof on - now that would have looked good using a nailer for fixing the laths (but I don't think they can cope with the flat headed galvanised nails I used).

Now if it's just for the sake of buying another tool, and 'having the capacity' - well I can understand that - or are you all doing nailing jobs that I don't even dream of ?

Neither cynical nor critical, just mystified..........

LOL BAH

Reply to
BAH

The small job I had for this tool this week was to put the back board onto an MFI unit - which is usually fraught with lining panel pins up, keeping the hardboard lined up, and making sure your thumb is not in the firing line.

Took about 20 seconds to put the back board on the unit - would normally take maybe 10 minutes of fiddling around with a hammer and nails.

It's one of those tools that you didn't know how much you missed until you got one.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Same here - nailers are OK on site, perhaps, but people seem to take less care using them, and also unless there's a very repetetive job to be done in consistent timber, they're a PITA. Hit a knot and you've got to use a hammer too, adjust for knotty timber and risk the nail going straight through!

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Handy for tacking stuff while glue/bonding etc sets

Reply to
Baxter Basics

Screwfix were really impreesive for me here. Having read this newsgroup thread at around 10 o'clock on a SUNDAY morning, and having order a nailer immediately, Screwfix made the delivery by lunch time on the Monday.

Impressive or what?

John H

Reply to
John atte Kiln

I'm impressed too. Ordered one along with some other stuff at 20:30 Monday evening. Fully expected to get it Wed at the earliest. The courier was ringing my doorbell at 8:30 the next morning!

Reply to
BillR

"BillR" wrote in news:pFq0b.8684$ snipped-for-privacy@wards.force.net:

I was just thinking about getting a few more. It is cheaper to buy a whole new one than just the 6,000 nails you get with it! Just have to make sure that I use very similar numbers of each size.....

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt