TS-Aligner

Just recieved the TS-Aligner Lite yesterday. I was very impressed by quality of the machine tool and was a bit discouraged by just how far my saw alignment was out. The TS-Aligner will certainly help me get into alignment.

The price of the aligner was $69.00 US....

Now for the Canadian depressing price.

By the dollar exchange, postage rates and the duty at the boarder - $140 Canadian. Good thing I am buying the tool in two steps.

Next week I will order the upgrade and there goes another $140.00 canadian.

I wonder if I get the storage case with the upgrade - I sure hope so.

Bye

Rod

Reply to
Rod Upfold

Out of curiosity, why is there duty? I thought NAFTA was supposed to do away with all that.

Reply to
Steve

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:34:36 GMT, "Steve" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

amen to that. i received a gift from an friend in CA, and ended up some customs broker wanted 60$ US for some damn NAFTA fees, bonding, and some other mindless drivel for having it cross the border!

let me just say, they have never gotten any money from me, had one nasty gram from them, and one phone call. this was a canadian company with offices here in the US. i told them to take it up with the american consolit...lol

Pay for a gift indeed. Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I am from a border city and I thought that I knew the rules of importation.

What I thought the rule was...If it's made in the states - its duty free. The person where I picked it up said "thats the way it is" when I asked her what the $20..00 charge and she told me that it was duty and thats the way customs dose it (she had a lack of knowledge or just didn't care).

Rod

Reply to
Rod Upfold

I agree with your assessment entirely. It mirrors my experience bringing items into Canada from the USA.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I doubt if there was any duty. I get a lot of items from the US, and I can't remember the last time I had to pay duty, regardless of the country of origin. There's usually a brokerage fee involved, plus GST plus provincial sales tax. Canada Post charges a flat $5 fee for brokerage, FedEx air charges $7, and UPS charges as much as they can get away with and then some. UPS should be avoided by anyone bringing goods into Canada unless you plan to do your own brokerage. In fact, with UPS brokerage rates factored in it's often less expensive to ship FedEx air than it is to ship UPS ground.

Reply to
mp

While everyone else is off debating the Canada/US $$$ thing I have to wonder, you think a lot of people are discouraged/put off buying a TS Aligner onna 'count of they really don't want to know how bad things are with their machines?

I do believe that to be correct.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Sounds like your friend sent it by UPS. I've heard that there is a huge difference is fees between using regular mail or FedEx and using UPS. YMMV

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:48:39 GMT, Dave Balderstone scribbled

USPS and Canada Post are it for me too. Canada Post charged me $5.00 and the 7% GST on the Knight plane Steve recently sent me.

Even within Canada, IME (having lived in the Maritimes, Newfoundland and the Yukon in the last 18 years), Canada Post is more reliable and usually faster and cheaper than any private courier. I can relate a number of horror stories about private couriers, but not a single one from Canada Post, even though I use it more often than any other service.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

[snip]

This looks like a very good piece of equipment. I even considered buying it. That being said, I took my inexpensive Grizzly dial gauge (which I am using for many things), screwed it to a piece of wood, and clamped the wood to my miter gauge on my new DeWalt TS. I then ran the miter gauge back and forth in the slot while watching the dial gauge; made adjustments to the fence, and then tested again. I cannot say for sure, but I think it helped me set my saw up the way it should be. To the extent that a miter gauge might not be tight in the slot, just apply pressure to it towards (or away) from the direction of the fence whenever you measure.

It is great to have the right tool, certainly when doing something as basic and important as the squaring of a TS. However, I think that equivalent results can be had for much less than the price of the TS-Aligner devices.

-- Igor

Reply to
Igor

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:48:14 -0400, Alan McClure Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

he sent it on some freight company,,,dont know which one, don't matter, i still have my money...

Traves W. Coppock