Tim Daneluk

Page 6 of 13

Now doesn't that sound appetizing. Eating something grown someplace that has a record of not caring to much about sanitation or where they dump their industrial waste.

CW wrote:

Around here they ship solid "treated" sewage waste from large cities (LA, San Diego) out to remote (farm, ranch) areas (communities?) to be shot out into the fields from a sort of cannon. In the Great Valley.
Like the lady says: "you're soaking in it".
I'm partial, though. I've been looking into french drains, leach lines, and solid waste composting, knowing there's a right way and a wrong way to do this.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

It's an interesting thought... everything we have and everything we use, and everything we use to *make* everything we have, comes from the Earth. But when we're done using it, it's undesirable to put the stuff back on the Earth, yet it all ends up back on the Earth anyway.
It's all very confusing.
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

Nice pun, if by "confusing" you mean the commingling of plant nutritive stuff with salts, heavy metals, persistent chemicals, and etc.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

That's EXACTLY what I meant. It was a clever play on words and you picked up on it.
Joe Barta

If people buy local, then imports will decline.
I choose to participate in the market economy by making informed, concious decisions about who gets my money.
djb
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:36:58 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I'm with ya'!
My brother in law owns a local CSA organic farm. One of his products is some terrific garlic!
Barry
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Can't argue with that.
Or maybe I can ;-) You can only do that in a VERY limited way. And even then it's probably more huff and puff than anything else. I could probably go through your house and find tons of stuff that 1) are made in or have parts made in what you might consider an undesirable country, and 2) find tons of stuff that you really don't know where it's been made and 3) it's made somewhere you don't approve of, but doing without it is not something you'd "choose".
Joe Barta

Try going back and read what I wrote.
Joe Barta wrote:

Considering how difficult it can be to "buy local" I would be very hesitant to call any expressed desire to do so huff and puff.
Hard work, that's what I call it. But persevere!
er
--
email not valid

And, in fact, I did not express any indication that I support buying local or do not support buying local, so I don't understand how or why Mr. Barta would use his points in an argument against what I actually said.
djb
--
Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and
coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it
Dave Balderstone wrote:

It would seem you are correct. I jumped to an erroneous conclusion.
A thousand apologies.
For the record, if I may ask you a pointed question, do you often and with a clean concience buy goods that you know to be made in China?
Joe Barta

I do not buy goods that I know to be made in China.
I also choose, when I can reasonably do so, not to buy US made goods, but not in all consumer categories.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I have a few more questions for you if you're willing...
What about goods that are "made" in a favorable country, but are very likely to have major parts made in China? (I'm speaking of products that may not be explicitly labeled as such, but you highly suspect that it's at least partly made in China.)
What about goods that are made in a favorable country, but made with tooling that was mostly made in China?
Would you shop at a store whose success is largely due to cheap Chinese imports, even if the particular item you are purchasing happens to be made in a favorable country?
Do you use specific criteria when determining from which countries you will buy goods or is more of an informal "from the hip" decision?
Besides China and the US, are there any other countries you do not buy goods from? If you have reasons, I would be interested to hear them.
Joe Barta
Sigh...

I've answered this already.

I've answered this already.

I'm not aware of such a store in my market area.

Yes, I use specific criteria.

Yes.
I'm sure you would be.
--
"Let's just admit that public education is mediocre at best." -- Frank Zappa

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm always interested in hearing other points of view. One of the ways I can tell how much weight to attribute to a person's particular stated viewpoint is how well they hold up under simple and direct questions.
You don't hold up very well. You're entitled to your opinions of course, but you'll understand if I consider them more bluster than substance.
Joe Barta

Yabbut. T'other day, I checked out the new prescrip ortho shoes I got from VA. Made In China right on the inside of the tongue.
Tell me how I avoid that one.

Why should I tell you how to do that? You make your own choices, I make mine.
--
------
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is:

Prescrip shoes available from ONE source. I can go back to regular shoes and not be able to walk more than 15 feet, or I can go through the entire routine with civilian doctors at a cost of maybe $1500.
That's not a choice.

I'm not in your shoes, am I? I certainly wouldn't presume to tell you what decision to make.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!