Tim Daneluk

Page 2 of 13

Bingo! Finally back to woodworking.
Let's discuss The Beam.
You first.

Well, there is a very large LVL beam sitting in my driveway right now. It's 3 1/2" thick, 14" deep, and about 19 feet long waiting to start holding the second floor of my home addition so it doesn't become part of the first floor.
todd

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the fact that that beam is not in your eye.
I find those LVL beams much more elegant than the steel I have used in the past. I recently saw a hallway table made from a beam like that. About 8 feet long...about 14" wide maybe, but nice and thick. The vertical pieces were just a continuation of the beam, but attached at either end of the horizontal piece with large box joints. Very attractive.. just clear poly as a finish.
todd wrote:

When I was a carpenter we used to set those things all the time. Was actually pretty dangerous. Imagine joist hangers nailed every 16" on each side while it's still on a pair of sawhorses (and 14" is small). Two guys on one end and two on the other. You then proceed to hoist this thing on your collective shoulders and up a pair of step ladders into position. Being a big and tall guy, I was always one of the main shoulders. I used to have nightmares of those things starting to slide or fall and those joist hangers taking out chunks of shoulder or neck flesh before breaking a few bones. The Gods must have been smiling because never once did we lose control of one.
Joe Barta

WHOA! That's alt.building.construction!
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

todd wrote:

IMHO no, but *I* do not ascribe to the adage, though I do note that many others do.
Howver, suppose you find a two threads that I did participate in. I exited one with a 'plonk' and the plonked party followed up with a number of statements that did not previously appear in the thread.
In the other thread, I simply went away.
In the second case, it is unclear is I assented to what was written after my exit. In the first case it appears probable that I never read the comments.

Irrelevent.
The distinction between starting off-topic threads and replying in them is like the distinction between punching somebody in the nose and punching somebody in the nose after he hits you first.
Some of us regard that to be a distinction without a difference, some of us do not.

Well I didn't think that up all by myself. That is basicly what I remember from the UseNet FAQ. Yes, at one time there was only one.
--

FF

In the second case, nobody noticed nor cared.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

There's another adage... "Tis better to be silent and thought a fool..."

Daresay? Damn, you're pullin out all the stops here.

Hey, contribution is a wonderful thing. But who cares if you prove or disprove consent? Just speak your mind and leave it at that.

Pat who? You mean that TV preacher guy that tried for the Republican nomination for President once? That guy that finds his wobbly old ass on TV apologizing for clumsy statements that he made the previous week? That Pat Robertson? Do YOU listen to him? I sure don't.

And here I thought you were just a twit getting his jollies by telling someone you "plonked" them. I'll consider myself straightened out.
Joe Barta

Why would anyone care who you killfile . We [most of us] have the ability to make our own choices.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

First, thank you for my very own thread.
Second, Good Manners dictates that you mark this sort of thing OT, or at the very least mark it a META thread since it is NOT about WWing.
Third, you might continue your deep statistical analysis by examining just how many OT threads I actually *start*. In my recollection, it is few. But I will not sit back and watch other people pitch bad ideas, dangerous to my future, hence I get involved in OT threads. But mostly, this is well after they are underway.
Fourth, I rarely start or add to On-Topic threads because I have little useful to say there. I am a rookie WWer, having only done it for about 8 years and anything I might add would be of little value beyond the expertise already found here.
Fifth, if this group gnerally practiced self-restraint and avoided OTs and/or limited them to very short exchanges, I would observe this without reservation. In fact, most NGs I read do exactly this and I observe the customs of the community. But you and your ilk cannot on the one hand jump in with all of the ideological gas passing the characterizes your posts and expect everyone else to observe a moment of silence in your honor. I've no idea what kind of human you are - perhaps we'd be friendly neighbors in the Real World - but by your testimony, I know your ideas are pernicious and dangerous to Liberty, hence you get counterargument from me and others. Lead by example, and I will be similarly still.
Fifth, I am gratified to know that I have gotten on your nerves enough that you feel the need to make the debate about my personal posting behavior. Squealing of this sort is almost always the evidence of the lack of coherent ideas and it's time to go after the speaker.
"First, thank you for my very own thread."
You are to be congratulated, although you will have to search for the initiation under a misspelled attribution.
"Second, Good Manners dictates that you mark this sort of thing OT, or at the very least mark it a META thread since it is NOT about WWing."
As you have not been particularly careful about this in your own posting history I would not blow this horn too loudly.
"Third, you might continue your deep statistical analysis by examining just how many OT threads I actually *start*. In my recollection, it is few. But I will not sit back and watch other people pitch bad ideas, dangerous to my future, hence I get involved in OT threads. But mostly, this is well after they are underway."
It would seem that you imply a distinction between the origination of an OT thread and the participation in an OT thread. There are some of us who would not embrace the distinction.
"Fourth, I rarely start or add to On-Topic threads because I have little useful to say there. I am a rookie WWer, having only done it for about
8 years and anything I might add would be of little value beyond the expertise already found here."
This is actually the funniest statement that I have found, so far. Google shows 148 postings by you to rec. woodworking, and as you claim that few of these have to do with actual woodworking, and therefore are OT, I am left to wonder at your persistance in expressing your views in a forum where you, admittedly, have no special knowledge.
"Fifth, if this group gnerally practiced self-restraint and avoided OTs
and/or limited them to very short exchanges, I would observe this without reservation. In fact, most NGs I read do exactly this and I observe the customs of the community. But you and your ilk cannot on the one hand jump in with all of the ideological gas passing the characterizes your posts and expect everyone else to observe a moment of silence in your honor. I've no idea what kind of human you are - perhaps we'd be friendly neighbors in the Real World - but by your testimony, I know your ideas are pernicious and dangerous to Liberty, hence you get counterargument from me and others. Lead by example, and I will be similarly still. "
Now, this is a very interesting expression of intent. Do you mean to say that on; alt.smokers.pipes, comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, comp.lang.python, rec.photo.equipment.medium-format, fa.freebsd.stable, rec.photo.darkroom, comp.protocols.smb, rec.photo.equipment.large-format, rec.photo.equipment.large-format, comp.mail.sendmail, comp.lang.python.announce, gnu.emacs.bug, alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, comp.mail.sendmail, rec.photo.misc, mailing.freebsd.ports, muc.lists.freebsd.stable - all of which represent a subset of the newsgroups that you have been a participant in, you have found the level of restraint greater than here on rec.woodworking?
Would you care to have this proven to be false?
Is it really necessary?
Isn't the truth obvious?
Isn't it actually the case that you have made a Usenet career of inserting yourself into groups where you have nothing to contribute and only seek to call attention to yourself , without regard for the culture of the groups that you violate?
You are a Usenet junky, Daneliuk.
You are also a conflict junky.
And your song has grown tired unto our ears.
Mr. Blanchard ("What does the turtle stand on?") has made a reasonably polite inquiry; followed by a brace of fools who misunderstood his intent.
I am not one who uses killfiles, but, if I did, you would be one of the first in the bin.
Other than his misspelling of your name, for use in the blocking of your posts, I believe him to be right on target.
Good Day, Sir.
Entfillet wrote: snip<followed by a brace of fools who misunderstood his intent.>snip
I'll bet 90% of _all_ our problems result from this very thing. But Mr. Blanchard has too much time on his hands, which can lead to mischief. Internet mischief. The Googling of people! I suppose now we've all googled Mr Blanchard. I for one look back on a lot of my posts as an exercise in humiliation, at least that's my excuse for now. A thicker skin may help, but not as much when the intent is obscured. Or was his intent obscured at all? Tom
Bourbon. Crushed mint. Branch water. More ice than for most drinks.
Most anything neat, for me. But I have too much time on my hands(insert smiley-face here). Tom

Actually, could it be more likely that Daneliuk is the current nom de plume of a whitehouse staffer?
scott
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Interestingly enough, a search using the terms "Tom Watson" and "Asshole" turns up even *more* hits (25 vs. 17, to be exact).
says...

What, it took you this long to recognize the gasbag pretentiousness that has become his trademark? You're slipping, Tim. I spotted him right off. :-)

I've come to a similar conclusion. I confess that I don't understand the almost pathological need to announce additions to one's kill file.
Bizarre.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Not bizarre at all. Seems like a perfectly human thing to do... for some humans. What better way for someone with twittish tendencies to get a petty little jolly on than to announce that they're going to ignore someone? It's not a very impressive display but it's certainly understandable... and done an awful lot on usenet by an awful lot of twittish people. So there is the answer... they do it because they are very human twits.
Now that I've pissed off a few people, let me piss off a few more. EVERY newsgroup has some off topic discussion. If you don't want to read it, then figure out how to work your newsreader so that you can ignore threads, or even ignore certain posters if you must. If you're a twit and suffering from a petty little jolly deficit, you can announce it to the world ;-)
And to piss off one or two more... I encourage Tim D. to post and comment to his his heart's content about whatever he wants. Personally I find his comments to be thoughtful and intelligent and I enjoy reading what he has to say.
Joe Barta
Joe Barta says:
"And to piss off one or two more... I encourage Tim D. to post and comment to his his heart's content about whatever he wants. Personally I find his comments to be thoughtful and intelligent and I enjoy reading what he has to say."
Oh, Good!
Mr. Barta from alt.politics, talk.politics.misc, alt.politics.kerry, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, soc.culture.irish, alt.idiots, alt.smokers.cigars, alt.html, soc.college.financial-aid, alt.building.construction, alt.home.repair, etc., etc., etc. ... has graced us with his opinion, so carefully constructed, so closely held and studied.