Thompson's Water Seal

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 08:22:14 -0700, rhonda.hodas.hack wrote:

When you find one, let us know :-).
Seriously, I don't think the "perfect" exterior finish exists. None last for more than a few years and most only 1-2 years. If you believe the statement that all finishes are non-toxic when cured, you could try marine epoxy over shellac (SealCoat).
If you're keeping the birdhouses, my suggestion is pure tung oil, reapplied every year. See:
https://www.dutchcrafters.com/Wood-Finishing-Pure-Tung-Oil/p/11419
carrying a cross.

There is nothing that quite works as well as good ole "exterior" grade paint. Any thing clear will have to be reapplied every 2~4 years.
On 7/5/16 6:03 PM, Leon wrote:

Yep. If you're going to use TWS, you might as well take your money and stuff inside the can.
I am constantly getting asked to pressure wash and "re-seal" decks. And people ask about what the best "sealer" is. I always tell them, a high quality exterior paint.
I also tell them the worst thing they can do to a deck is pressure wash it. It forces moisture into the wood, raises the grain and makes it all fuzzy and splintery. The best thing to clean a wood deck is a simple mold-killing house wash with a light rinse from a hose or pressure wash on a very low setting.
--

-MIKE-

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 08:22:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thompson's is just paraffin and mineral spirits. A waste of money, IMO.