Is it any good, or just hype.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Only use it on your "Deck"

Reply to
Leon

Fit for purpose; outdoor wood.

I just saw yesterday a 3 year old set of Adir> Is it any good, or just hype.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On 8/16/2009 5:06 PM notbob spake thus:

It does work, if that's what you're asking; it will seal wood.

However, there may be better stuff out there. A painter I trust told me he uses Armstrong's deck sealer instead (the "natural" color, not clear, he insisted).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

IME, hype. Used on Greenhouse windows. Did not last a year.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Crap. Get Penofin oil.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Depends on your use, like anything else...

I used it once when the walls of a house had old wallpaper paste on them and knew the paste would bleed through the latex..

Didn't bring any Bullseye primer so used TWS instead and the latex covered in one coat without bleed through..

I've also used it to soak wood parts for RV accessories and it seems to work well..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I don't know how well it works on wood, but it is a terrific water proofer on canvas. Fifteen or more years ago I needed a ground cloth for a diamond shelter I sometimes use in primitive camping. I used a 5x9 foot piece of untreated heavy canvas. I washed the canvas to remove any sizing, then hung it from a line and gave it a coat of Thompsons once a day for a week or two. Don't remember the exact number. At least 6 coats, but no more than 10. After drying for a few days, I rubbed it down to soften it.

Thing smelled nasty for about a year. Not solvent, just a very unpleasant odor I assumed was from the Thompsons. About the time it quit stinking, it also became relatively flexible and non-sticky, even on hot days. It was also waterproof as a rubber pond liner.

I still use it on a few campouts a year. It is still waterproof. I'd hate to see it catch fire. All that wax burning could generate more excitement than would be proper for a refined gentleman of my age, specially if I was sleeping on it at the time.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

If you are talking about the square 4 or 5 quart can that sells in the $20-25 range it is a 2 year solution at best. I used it on the deck of a previous house for a few years. then we built a fence and decided to go to something different. We put Olympic premium on both about three years ago. Sold the house but had a chance to see it a couple of weeks ago and the fence looks great. Costs more but well worth it.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

notbob wrote: : Is it any good, or just hype.

It's about the worst stuff on the market. A waste of money and time.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I believe I should have said Olympic "Maximum". You can get the Olympic products in a light tint or a full stain. We used the tint which lets grain definition get through better. A neighbor used the stain version and IMO it come up looking kind of murky.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

On 8/17/2009 9:23 AM Andrew Barss spake thus:

So what do you suggest using?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I have used, with great success, Flood's Penetrol. I know, I know it is supposed to be an additive, but what it is, is super clean BLO and protects wood like nothing else I have seen. So, if one doesn't need to do much, it is great stuff. For a big deck, it will be pricey.

Reply to
Robatoy

On 8/17/2009 11:47 AM Robatoy spake thus:

  1. You're in the UK, aren't you?
  2. What' "BLO"?
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Is Canada part of the UK?

Cocaine?

or

Boiled Linseed Oil?

Which would you put on a deck?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

NO! NO!!

It is not BLO it is BLOW and you use the deck to cut it 52 ways. BEG

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

The former. I could find an actual use for the BLO.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Have you had direct experience with it Andy? I suspect that the Arizona sun would beat the heck out of an inferior product. Do you have any recommendations that do stand up fairly well out here?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

David Nebenzahl wrote: : On 8/17/2009 9:23 AM Andrew Barss spake thus:

:> notbob wrote: :> : Is it any good, or just hype. :> :> It's about the worst stuff on the market. A waste of money and time.

: So what do you suggest using?

Pretty much anything else. Cabot makes a very good line of products (cleaners, sealers) for exterior wood. I've alo heard good things about Olympic stain/sealer.

The problem with Thompson's is that it's just a little bit of paraffin wax, dissolved in a whole lot of solvent (kerosene, I think). When it first goes on, the wax and oily solvent residue will indeed repel water (hence the Thompson's ad image of water beads on wood). But it only lasts for a few months, and then it's gone. And it provides zero UV protection, so the wood will gray independent of the short-term water repulsion.

Thompson's is the wood protection equivalent of those guys who come by your house, give you a great deal on redoing an asphalt driveway, and it looks great for two months until the thin layer wears off.

They do have excellent marketing skills, though.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I've had pretty good luck with Watco's Outdoor Oil. Lasts 3-4 years on a sunny surface and recoating is quick and easy. It doesn't cover nearly as many square feet as the can claims it does, but that's common to just about all of the sealers.

It does have UV and mildew inhibitors.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard