Thomasville cabinets uses pocket screws

Page 2 of 2

Pocket hole screws were main stream in the 50's. It has only recently become easy and affordable for the home owner to use them.

The use of pockets for screws is nothing new... used at least as early as the 18th century. Mack Headley, master of the Colonial Williamsburg Cabinet Shop, cut pockets with a gouge in the VCR tape "The Cabinetmaker, Crafting a Card Table." He cut the pockets for screws to hold the top on.
John
Now that is a cool piece of info..I have never heard of them being used that far back. There really isn't much "new" stuff in woodworking.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Did the tape still work when he was done?

Wow. Pocket holes used way back in a cabinet shop that far back? That makes them almost as cool as dovetails :-)
ken

I'm certain you wouldn't catch Mack making face frames with pocket screws though... mortise and tenon for sure! For that matter I don't think you'd find Mack doing any casework with pocket screws... ;-)
John
John