Pocket screws AND biscuits?

I am building a cabinet that is way too big for my clamps, and doesn't have parallel sides anyhow; so gluing the shelves in dados would be difficult.

When assembling the shelves, I would like to put in a few biscuits to make sure the alignment is correct, and use pocket screws to actually hold it together. I have had problems in the past getting things perfectly even with just pocket screws, but the biscuits ought to fix that.

Any reason this is a bad idea? (other than the obvious one that pocket screws are inherently improper)

Reply to
toller

Grab yourself some assembly squares from Rockler. I've got about 4 sets and they are ideal for this task, and for general box and case construction

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer

- WoodHaven Biscuit Master

- EZ Smart Guide System

Woodcrafter

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "3-D Square" from Jevons Tool Co.

is: a) machined aluminum alloy (vs. molded plastic), b) nearly dead-on square (vs. having a nodding acquaintance with square), and c) the _same_price_ as Rockler's inaccurate Clamp-Its if you buy it at the Woodworking Show.

Rockler charges $12 ea ($10 ea for four or more); Jevons charges $50 for a set of four, and show pricing is $40.

Only if you have a very relaxed definition of "square"...

If you think they're ideal, you must not have ever checked them. I bought a pair, got them home, and checked them by setting them up thus _| |_ on the table saw (closest thing to a dead-flat surface I have). With the "squares" touching at the bottom, I measured a 0.018" gap at the top.

Took them back to Rockler to exchange them... and found that I had actually gotten one of the "better" sets they had; most of the others were much worse. Left with a refund instead of an exchange. And bought the Jevons squares at the next woodworking show.

[Disclaimer - no connection at all to Jevons Tool Co except as an *extremely* satisfied customer - fabulous product.]
Reply to
Doug Miller

I did a bathroom vanity with twin tenons and pocket screws. The screws were useful during test assemblies (to substitute for glue) and acted as clamps during the final glue-up.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Biscuits and pocket-screws have worked great for me, for just the reasons you suggest. As others suggest, neither, nor both, are a panacea. Especially if you want really precise locating, it takes care and attention.

Location and number of screws is also important, depending on the materials being joined, to get a tight joint. At least, unlike the famous "brads while the glue dries", the screws can be removed, and reused.

Inherently, pocket screws are quite proper. :') IMHO.

John

Reply to
barry

0.018" gap is relaxed enough for me :) Never had a problem using them on any woodworking tasks.

That kind of accuracy is not going to be easily visible on shelf alignments at least. I use them all time on box and drawer construction and never had any noticeable problems, but as you say, we all have different ideas of how "square", square needs to be :) The item you have menioned looks like a worthy alternative however.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer

- WoodHaven Biscuit Master

- EZ Smart Guide System

Woodcrafter

Hey, we agree!

I bought a couple of these POS and contrary to usual practice, took their word for it that they were "square." My bad.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

So how soon are you ordering your 3-D Squares from Jevon? :-)

I gotta tell ya, they're great. I love 'em - wish I'd had those years ago.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's kinda like you're using two sloppy things to make a perfect thing.

The biscuits will get you close, but then you will have to clamp to get things close enough.

The pocket screws are really only temporary clamps, but not the kind of clamps that you would use for alignment.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson