Gluing up panels with biscuits?

Tomorrow I am gluing up my first panels since I bought a biscuit joiner. Although I have never had any problems without using it, as long as I have it I might as well stick a few biscuits in.

Is there any reason not to do this that I might be overlooking?

Reply to
Toller

Probably not, they will help with alignment of the panels when glue-up time comes around. Some say they add a degree of extra strength, others don't. There is a bit of a debate on that one. Just ensure you mark all your panels appropriately so you are referencing the correct faces when cutting your slots to ensure they all line up nicely :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- GMC R1200 1/2" Router

- LRH Magic Molder

- Triton Router Review Update!

- Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig

- Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

SawEyes

Don't finish sand the face until the glue dries overnight. The areas where the glue and biscuit are may swell. If you sand or plane them too early you may end up with depressions where the biscuits are.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

If you are making raised panels, be sure the biscuits are not in the area which is being beveled. They're not pretty to look at.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

B a r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I would actually give it a couple of days. Sit it in the corner and go about doung the rest.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

Hmm, reasons not to:

  1. NOT a stronger joint
  2. Takes longer to apply glue to all the biscuits/slots
  3. Wastes good biscuits
  4. Always seems to result in more glue squeeze out

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

================================================== Even thought I do own a biscuit joiner I very rarely haul it out to glue up some panels...normally not needed and if it is not needed AND takes me extra time I just do not do it...

Other then that go ahead and use ti.... helps keep things in alignment

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Never been a big fan of biscuits, but I've got to say that using them when gluing flat panels the past few months has made a convert out of me, at least for that particular application ... to the point that I would now hesitate to do a flat panel glue up without them.

AAMOF, I somehow managed to break the fence on my 557 last week and put off a glue-up until the part came in yesterday.

Reply to
Swingman

The use of bisquits is generally for alignment. I use them for larger panels. It makes the glue-up go easier. For smaller panels, I don't use bisquits. With proper milling, there won't be a need for alignment and a properly glued joint is stronger than the wood. Also, make sure the biscuit is not in an area that is exposed when cutting the panel to size or raising a panel.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I am fairly new to laminating panels, so I thought biscuits would help ensure perfect edge-to-edge joints--not so! Even with great attention to alignment of the fence against the wood surfaces, I could not get a perfectly smooth surface. I think the problem is that there is a little bit of play between the biscuit and the sides of the biscuit slot.

Out of frustration I finally broke down and bought a Dowelmax jig. Although it was expensive, I now get PERFECTLY aligned panels.

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias

Being admittedly new to panel glue-ups, and nothing being perfect, you may eventually find that "little bit of play" with biscuits a good thing when tweaking alignment.

My experience is that thumb pressure with one hand on one of those pesky spots that is just a scootch off, while you tighten the clamps with the other hand, will generally bring boards into alignment _much_ easier than if dowels are used.

That said, anything that works for you all the time, is right for you.

Reply to
Swingman